Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo confusion with amp.

Injured_otter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi guys,

Quick one.... with connecting an amp to the stock head unit, where do i connect the wires?
Sounds like a stupid question but like, there are alot of empty ports on my loom.

I want to keep stock unit. I have 6disc stacker. I have factory bluetooth set up with was quite easy to install. I have seen lots of posts about a Converter for RCA to bare wires..... or something like that.

All i want to do is connect my stereo to my amp. the rest is fine.

Im not sure if what colour wire to connect to if any? or to patch into the loom?

My car is an x cop car and had a few mods done to it. trying to restore.... HELP PLEASE?????!

Injured_otter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
maybe someone has a wiring diagram to indicate pre outs from head unit?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey mate,
do a search in the car audio section, to me it sounds like you will need some Line Out Converters (LOC) that connect from factory head unit to the amp, provided your amp has a provision for LOC's. These are used instead of RCA inputs where they are not available.

Cheers.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the better option is to get Greg to add the RCA's out for better sound quality, but being in Perth it means you would have to post your head unit across to Sydney so you'd be without it for a week or so.

But yes, there are Line Out Converters available, its largely talked about in the audio section of the forum.

luket125

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S 2
my opinion get rid of the stock unit and wiring becomes a piece of cake. :)

Injured_otter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
cool thanks guys. I'll probably just get ahold of these LOC's everyone is talking about.

Im only using the amp for a sub so the "quality" doesnt need to be the best.

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeh my stock headunit came with a factory amp and it was connected via Bosch LOC located on the parcell chelf.
Sounds not bad also.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I second the ripping out the stock unit and getting an aftermarket. Are your steering wheel controls that important? You can get aftermarket guys to rig them upto an aftermarket unit for about $450 if you really wanna keep em.

Aftermarket headunit is where it's at with twin amps :D Replace the door speakers, run em off one amp, other amp for boot subs.

If your gunna do a stereo, do it right. Sound deadening the lot.