Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo setup opinions (VZ Exec)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep i agree with VP here.....option "A" and bridge the channels of that 4 ch. amp to run the splits. Enough said :)

gdunkley84

I Have a Dent.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Sportswagon
I run option A but have removed the metal where the 6x9's would go which give alot more bass in the car and sound pretty bloody good. This is what I have

Alpine 9886 Head Unit

Alpine PDX 4.150 powering
Focal 165KP Splits - Front
Hertz 6inch Coaxials - Rear Door

Alpine PDX 1000.1 powering
2x Alpine Type-R Subs in custom sealed box

edit: when I removed the metal from the back shelf I put in the standard speaker grills which weren't there originally.

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
Yep i agree with VP here.....option "A" and bridge the channels of that 4 ch. amp to run the splits. Enough said :)

Why would you not run the 4 speakers off the amp?
If you've got the speakers to replace the standard ones in the rear door, then why not replace them?

I did, and I run them off the amp as well, using the fader to adjust the SQ so the splits are where 85% of the sound come from. The rear's are just for fill and as I'm not after the type of system that you can turn up to make your ears bleed, I didn't see any point in bridging the amp to run just the splits. The only advantage I can see here is more power to the front, which makes it louder.

If you are after clarity however, and a great low down sound, then i'd assume the 4 speakers running of the amp would give you that?

I maybe wrong though, limited experience with these types of set ups....

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
more power going to the front splits gives you more headroom and ultimately more control over the sound :)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well you said it yourself Toeludeu, youve amped the front and rear speakers but fade to the front so 85% of the sound comes from the front. So basically youre wasting the amps power to run the rears, dosent that seem like waste of good power?

By all means, if youve got the speakers to replace the stock rears, then do so....but just leave them running off the head-unit and find the max volume for them before tuning the amped speakers / subwoofer/s.

Also what bezz said ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
[QUOTE but i see what you're getting at, ill have at think on it. my splits are only like 60 watt rms if i remember right[/QUOTE]

If your still undecided, before you connect the rear speakers and sub, install your front speakers, and connect your 4 channel amp. Firstly connect 2 of the channels to them, play around with the tune a little and see how they sound. Then bridge the amp to them, and do they same again. This way you'll see if your splits respond well to the extra power supply or not, and should make your desicion about upgrading the rear speakers a bit easier:thumbsup:

And like you said, sell your 6x9's to a mate, and even if your not buying an extra components, with the money from them you could upgrade some of the wiring, or purchase some sound deadner ect..