Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sticking/grabbing brake caliper

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
G'day gents, have any of you had a sticking/grabbing brake caliper on your VN/VPs, and if so, how large a problem was it to fix?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
G'day gents, have any of you had a sticking/grabbing brake caliper on your VN/VPs, and if so, how large a problem was it to fix?

Possibly sticky slides due to lack of maintenance.
Easy enough if you know what you are doing, otherwise, off to the mechanic or brake repairer.
Problem is of course, a lot of mechanics don't like repairing anything these days because they may fix one problem and next week you have a different problem with the same area.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
Possibly sticky slides due to lack of maintenance.
Easy enough if you know what you are doing, otherwise, off to the mechanic or brake repairer.
Problem is of course, a lot of mechanics don't like repairing anything these days because they may fix one problem and next week you have a different problem with the same area.

lack of maintenance: I'll concede that point. I've never used it for a daily driver until very recently. I've owned her for the past three years now, and she'd get driven once a month tops. That was until my daily (a Ford) shat herself, and I've had to use my VP as a daily, and also as a work vehicle (for which I get paid an allowance).

I will be taking her into a shop, but I was hoping to get a heads up on what I'm in for from those who've had similar problems.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As above, worn/bent/seized guide pins.

Is it a front or rear brake issue?

I'd atleast pop the wheel off and visually inspect the rotor and pads for even/tapered wear.
Next undo the bottom bolt, lift the caliper up and remove the pads. Drop the caliper back down (without the pads) do the bolt up and make sure the caliper slides easily in/out.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
lack of maintenance: I'll concede that point. I've never used it for a daily driver until very recently. I've owned her for the past three years now, and she'd get driven once a month tops. That was until my daily (a Ford) shat herself, and I've had to use my VP as a daily, and also as a work vehicle (for which I get paid an allowance).

I will be taking her into a shop, but I was hoping to get a heads up on what I'm in for from those who've had similar problems.

By lack of maintenance I was referring to the age and the fact that brakes are sometimes just pad replace and that is it.
Cost would totally depend on whether a complete overhaul is needed because of leaks, or just a clean and lube of the slides.
I can't quote you cost because I have always done my own.

trautman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute 5.0l auto vs series III v6 5speed
jack up the front end then check the other side too mate there will be some kind of difference be careful usually with brake issues once one side goes the other aint that far away from going either take the extra time its worth it

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Ain't it the pits (note pun) when a request for help gets advice and follow up questions but doesn't come back to acknowledge or give an outcome?? Well it gets to me cos I hope to learn from their experience....

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ain't it the pits (note pun) when a request for help gets advice and follow up questions but doesn't come back to acknowledge or give an outcome?? Well it gets to me cos I hope to learn from their experience....

Yea, but that's life, usually only 10% of people come back with an answer, let alone a thank you.
Let's just remember the ones who do come back and continue to try and help them.

I don't know about anyone else but I get a hell of a lot of info from this forum which saves me money, and I might be 67 but I still want to learn so I can do my own repairs and assist others.

So a big thank you to all who have assisted me over the years.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yea, but that's life, usually only 10% of people come back with an answer, let alone a thank you.
Let's just remember the ones who do come back and continue to try and help them.

I don't know about anyone else but I get a hell of a lot of info from this forum which saves me money, and I might be 67 but I still want to learn so I can do my own repairs and assist others.

So a big thank you to all who have assisted me over the years.

It may be my second car but i thought i was the only one over 60 that still owned a VN on this Forum,LOL,yeah i too have learned a lot from guys that take the time to try and help,big Thanks from me as well.
Its my second VN Wagon and have owned it for 20 years but with 200,000 on the clock now there is always something that needs tinkering,Power Steeing Pump/Rack is the next project.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Pumps are easy, racks mean getting under the car, that hurts.
I still have a spare wagon tailshaft for VN-VP-v6.
Probably cut it up for tube one day.