Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sticking Starter Motor

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
I have a manual v6 vn, the starter motor has been sticking for a while now, but its getting progressively worse, ie 5-10 secs after start up.

I have a another starter motor off an auto, can this be swapped onto my motor? or can i pull mine out and repair the solenoid?

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
ahh yes I might know the problem. my vp was doing this all the time even though it had a new delco in it. the n00bs who installed it before I got the car forgot the spacer shim that goes between the stater and the block.
Check that its there, very important as it sets the correct pinion and ring gear clearance.

If its the stater then your auto one will fit provided that its a delco remy NOT a bosch.

That reco'd delco I have is now a spare as I pulled out my engine yesterday. give a buz it you need one.

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Sorry about the thread dig.

My starter motor has developed a similar problem.

Originally I thought it was the key sticking because if I wriggled it the starter motor would stop.

Now that doesn't seem to work and the starter motor continues to turn for 10-20 seconds before stopping.

Doesn't happen all the time but is concerning when it does.

Any ideas? Am I up for a new starter or is it possibly a solenoid issue? Could it be catching on damaged teeth on the starter ring?

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Tried replacing the ignition switch from the back of the ignition barrel today - didn't fix the problem.

Going to pull the starter motor tomorrow and replace it with a spare used one off a VP I bought for parts.

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

I asked at the local Auto-One today how much a new starter was. Depending on which sort, $167 or $430 - Murphy's Law will have it that I will need the $430 one.....

They didnt have any in stock so I thought I'd try the used one and if it works order in a new one for next time.

And for anyone removing an ignition switch, it turns out there is 2 grub screws holding the switch in - found out the hard way by breaking the plastic mount off the back one....

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Hello, maybe the ring gear has damaged teeth? this can keep the pinion stuck in mesh, have you replaced the starter relay? (contacts could be sticking)
As said, check pinion stroke too or it will get stuck in mesh.

Solenoids have 2 x windings. (2 x coils in one solenoid)
first winding goes from start terminal through to the brushes, it finds ground through the armature.
This one draws quite a bit of current to "throw" the pinion out to the flywheel.

Aha! But once the pinion is thrown, the contacts come together, and hey presto this winding has a + signal on both ends!!!! Therefore the solenoid would dis engage.
So we have a 2nd winding, which goes from start terminal to ground. This one is smaller and weaker, but is strong enough to hold the pinion in place, not strong enough to throw it out.
So we have a "pull in" winding, and a "hold-in" winding.
So, if your starter ever "chatters" then the hold in winding is probably crook.

Also 6 cyl motor will stop on a compression stroke, so there will be 3 x main points of contact on your flywheel, where the starter always engages.

Sometimes the ring gear has to go, some tight asses have just rotated it and bolted it back in.

just my 2c.