Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stiffer suspension? (noob alert)

I drive a VL Commodore

I drive a Skyline, too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Poverty Pack
So I went out and bought some second-hand alloy wheels for my VL. They fit up alright except they stick out a lot further (the offset is wrong for the car, or so I was told) and the front guard rubs on the tyre whenever I hit a big bump or ditch.

I have 14x6.5JJ wheels with 215/60/R14 93H tyres on them. I was told the offset is +20, and that Commodores are meant to be +40? Or something like that.

Clipboard01-7.jpg

Anyone know/recommend a good brand/type/whatever of springs/shocks that will stiffen the travel distance up without making the car any lower, that will fit into a VL? There aren't any other issues with the wheels, they don't hit on anything except the outer lip of the guard.

With that said, will new parts to match what's in the car now have the effect I want? The suspension is pretty shagged on the car.

What might I expect to pay for new springs/shock absorbers?

Thanks guys. :hmmm:

Last edited:

I drive a VL Commodore

I drive a Skyline, too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Poverty Pack
I should be able to fit them myself, I mean it's only turning a few spanners after all. I'm not completely hopeless, I do my own basic maintenance, just never any big modifications before.

I'll PM GSLrally and see what he can do. Thanks mate. :)