Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Still smelling gas. Desperate for ideas.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Ok thank you. The a.c works so it must be lpg.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks for your reply Fu Manchu. Can you elaborate at all on what a rich exhaust means? What is the HVAC box? Might there be anything else that might happen to indicate a prob in this area?, the box you spoke of that is. For what it might be worth (i'm no superstar) we never smell gassiness on petrol with the a.c on. Thanks again.
OK, so no gas smell on fuel with air con on, so that should rule out the air con gas.

Get a trigger spray bottle, probably have one somewhere in the house, if not only 2-$3, and fill it with soapy water, then when the car is cold, spray every gas joint/apparatus you can see.
If there is a gas leak the soapy water will show bubbles.

If no luck the start the car and repeat the procedure.
Also see if you can smell gas yourself around the engine bay.

If you cannot smell gas when travelling on the road but only when you pull up say at the lights, then that will most likely indicate exhaust gas.
And the harder/quicker you stop the more the exhaust gas will catch up to you.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Thanks for your reply rambunctious. I have sprayed soapy water in places i thought safe to do so with car running before, so not everywhere. I notice it the most when backing off the accelerator. I haven.t been able to smell gas in the engine bay before. Thanks for trying to help. Gus.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Can i ask what makes this rich exhaust condition happen?, if that's what it is. Gus.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Can i ask what makes this rich exhaust condition happen?, if that's what it is. Gus.
I would actually question if it is a rich exhaust or simply the gas/lp smell prevalent in vehicles running lp systems especially as you say you notice it most when backing off.

It's a VT so how good are the window/door/tailgate rubbers as in are they letting in smells because of wear/cracking.
In Qld some Safety Certificate Inspection Stations check and sometimes fail a car for this.
I know the rubber on my drivers door at the bottom is split due to getting in and out