Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stock front speakers cutting out

Crunkz0r

Wagon driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec Wagon v6 auto
Hey, i have my stock headunit in my car at the moment, and i have an aftermarket mp3 player that i want to install.

The problem is that when i open my driver's side door, the driver's side speaker cuts out and makes no sound at all while the door is open, but comes back on a little while after i close it. Also the front passenger speaker cuts out from time to time and my standard head unit feels hot when i turn it up to a decent volume.

I have a pir of new aftermarket front speakers that i wish to install aswell, and i plan on having the head unit running just the front 2 speakers for now (i'll disconnect the back ones).

I just wanna check whether or not i will need to get them or the wiring fixed before installing my new headunit so it doesn't get shorted or anything.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or a fix to it? or do i need to give the good ol auto electrician a ring? :p

Thanks

p.s. also while i'm asking, do you know if it is possible to bridge the output of the headunit? (maby to get extra power out of the front two after they are installed)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hey, i have my stock headunit in my car at the moment, and i have an aftermarket mp3 player that i want to install.

The problem is that when i open my driver's side door, the driver's side speaker cuts out and makes no sound at all while the door is open, but comes back on a little while after i close it. Also the front passenger speaker cuts out from time to time and my standard head unit feels hot when i turn it up to a decent volume.

I have a pir of new aftermarket front speakers that i wish to install aswell, and i plan on having the head unit running just the front 2 speakers for now (i'll disconnect the back ones).

I just wanna check whether or not i will need to get them or the wiring fixed before installing my new headunit so it doesn't get shorted or anything.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or a fix to it? or do i need to give the good ol auto electrician a ring? :p

Thanks

p.s. also while i'm asking, do you know if it is possible to bridge the output of the headunit? (maby to get extra power out of the front two after they are installed)

I cant see any relation to door being open and speaker cutting out.. you sure they only cut out when the doors open or just generally?? You wont need to get the wiring fixed up unless the factory H/U isnt working at all meaning blown fuse/short/dead earth etc. but if the units working i would say the problem lies with the H/U, not wiring.

and no its not possible to bridge the output of the new H/U for front speakers.

Crunkz0r

Wagon driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec Wagon v6 auto
The front right speaker cuts out almost evrytime i open the driver's door, and the front left one just cuts out generally, i was wondering if maby it is loose wiring...? you think it's just the head unit? I'm willing to pay extra for installation to get the front speakers rewired just to make sure :p .

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
I had the same problem in my VT wagon so what i did was redid the speaker wireing in each door and havn't had a broblem since. I found that 3 of my 4 doors either had broken or breaking speaker wires.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
The front right speaker cuts out almost evrytime i open the driver's door, and the front left one just cuts out generally, i was wondering if maby it is loose wiring...? you think it's just the head unit? I'm willing to pay extra for installation to get the front speakers rewired just to make sure :p .

oops, i forgot VR's got speakers in the doors, silly me was thinking they had dash speakers like vn/vp. In this case it would be wise to rewire the speakers in the doors when you upgrade the H/U and speakers, you will find the rubber conjute running from the car to the door wears away or gets pinched which breaks the wires.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the stock wire is like 5 strands of copper, thin stuff, so it could be broken very easily.

Crunkz0r

Wagon driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec Wagon v6 auto
yeah i spoke to a guy at work today about it, he reckons vr's with around the 300,000 kilometer mark either have the speaker wiring starting to break or have already broken due to the doors being opened and closed so much.

Last edited:

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
yeah, also those with around 175,000km. i had the very same problem. once i chucked the amp in and new wires were run for everything though the problem dissapeared. i think it's almost undeniable that the speaker wire is at fault.