Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock VE/WM air intake

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
Hey All,

I've been looking into different air intakes for my car (non-OTR), as everyone seems to say that the intake is restrictive and it's best to change it before a tune.

I was wondering if anyone has done a flow rate on the stock box and/or can explain what is restrictive about it? From what I can see the HSV's use the same intake, so it can't be that bad?

Cheers!

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Also wondering about this as I am trying to keep the stock airbox look of my WM Caprice but up the flow-rate for a dyno tune coming up. I've noticed the VF GTS uses a similar style setup (ignoring the fact it is charged) but I can't see where it draws the air from in the bottom half of the box.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
just cut the bottom half of the cold air box off... worked on the rice burners..

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The stock intake location for a CAI is not that bad with a bigger air box and smoother bends, plenty of dragsters in the US in the 10s with a RotoFab, which is not Over the Radiator (OTR), similar to growler, similar to walkinshaw, but apparently better.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
The stock intake location for a CAI is not that bad with a bigger air box and smoother bends, plenty of dragsters in the US in the 10s with a RotoFab, which is not Over the Radiator (OTR), similar to growler, similar to walkinshaw, but apparently better.

Ahoy there Pirate, we meet again!

I have had a look at the Rotofab. So the problem with the stock intake is that the bends aren't smooth? Would replacing the bit behind the MAF going into the engine with this smoother pipe help?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ahoy there Pirate, we meet again!

I have had a look at the Rotofab. So the problem with the stock intake is that the bends aren't smooth? Would replacing the bit behind the MAF going into the engine with this smoother pipe help?

I'm sure G8 owners and the RotoFab marketing team could explain better, but yeah pipe, velocity stack, massive air box and surface area from what I can tell. The fact that the bulk of the unit doesn't sit over and right in front of the radiator means there is less intake air temperature variance and cooler mean temperature stop / start.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I'm sure G8 owners and the RotoFab marketing team could explain better, but yeah pipe, velocity stack, massive air box and surface area from what I can tell. The fact that the bulk of the unit doesn't sit over and right in front of the radiator means there is less intake air temperature variance and cooler mean temperature stop / start.

You aren't too keen on OTR intakes are you?

I've seen the Rotofab ones online and contacted them - cost was (from memory) about $515AUD delivered, or if I was to buy 10 it would be $313AUD plus delivery- the latter is in case anyone is interested.

Cheers!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
You aren't too keen on OTR intakes are you?

I've seen the Rotofab ones online and contacted them - cost was (from memory) about $515AUD delivered, or if I was to buy 10 it would be $313AUD plus delivery- the latter is in case anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Haha! Nah my OTR is fine for what it is, just irks me with RON98 sitting in traffic with IATs 70º+ or when ambient is subzero / frosty or when it really pisses down rain, or I drive into a swarm of insects!!

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Haha! Nah my OTR is fine for what it is, just irks me with RON98 sitting in traffic with IATs 70º+ or when ambient is subzero / frosty or when it really pisses down rain, or I drive into a swarm of insects!!

Elaborate please sir!

I'm curious as they seem to be polar opposites from manufacturers claimed power gains.

E.g. - Rotofab enclosed air box w/ pod filter - 11rwhp
- Ramjet OTR - 32rwhp

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Interesting, I might go with the VCM pipe for the time being and see how it goes. If I need to 'update' my airbox config down the track then I will do that next.