Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight cut timing gears, belts or similar for whine (ecotec 6 )

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Just did a quick google search, theres a guy who has a gilmer kit on a VP V6, but I can't find any for an ecotec.

Yer i've been looking for ages there was a guy a while back that made basically a whole gilmer kit for an ecotec but never manufactured them on the mass just made one for his car, i was so disappointed when they weren't for sale haha. and does anyone know if there is something like this that would fit??

GEAR DRIVE NOISY SBC BBC CHEV HOLDEN FORD WINDSOR CLEVO | eBay

i understand that these type of "timing gears" so to speak, result in the valve fatigue much earlier due to the transmission of vibration instead of a chain but is there anything like this that would work???

i had an idea of like a custom idler pulley that has a gear on one end and that gear spins a smaller gear at a faster speed causing that whine sound.... i don't know how possible something like this would be but there has to be something that could be done isnt there??? :/

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Drill a few holes in your airbox.
My mate had a range rover alternator in his vp years ago. Used to whine, fooled people for a s/c

really??? that would be easy done if it worked hahaha what about like a two hole mod and on the second putting one of those fake turbo exhaust things on there???

( sounds stupid but im curious )

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
nah i mean the fake turbo whistlers that go on the exhaust tips, i just thought if you actually modded the airbox to fit one of them but with a second hole so there is no more restriction than normal, if that would work?? i'd rather the whine than whistle but either would be good if possible

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I liked the member who told the story about the dude in his street butting a duck calling whistle on his BOV.
I still get myself in stitches thinking about it. :rofl:

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
I liked the member who told the story about the dude in his street butting a duck calling whistle on his BOV.
I still get myself in stitches thinking about it. :rofl:

hahaha that would be the next thing, putting a fox whistle on the air intake ;) hahaha

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Last edited by a moderator:

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II