Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange kickback when slowing down

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Dunno, I've started to notice this kickback feeling as I'm slowing down anywhere below 40km/h.

It feels like as if I hit a hit a pot hole on the road and only happens on occasions, never when accelerating and only when slowing down (dont even need to be applying breaks).

I get a feeling its something to do with transmission as gears are going down but, why it happens occasionally i wouldn't know.

Any suggestions?

zane

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Is it in the VE ? if so could be changing gear from 4th back 3rd, does it do it in sports mode if so check the gear in the dash to comfirm.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I have the same thing in my Calias, have had it checked and I was told that it is ok, was told that the tranny works in a type of stepping motion from one gear to the other. Try rolling down a hill don't accelerate just let it roll and you should get the same thing.

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
ye i get the same thing from time to time, think its just dropping gears...

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i think i read somewhere in the ve manual the when going down hills and braking for long enough the gearbox will drop back a gear to let the engine do the braking.have a look in your manual.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I'm not sure guys, this knockback is somewhat quite rough than just downgearing - I guess its really hard to describe without actually being in the car as it does it.

Ill try the rolling down the hill thing, i may also just try to active select down gears for an entire trip and see if it happens as well. I just cant imagine a car of this age would make such a rough kickback when slowing down.