Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange sound under the front left during right hand bend and turns?

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais, VSII Senator 215i, VZ X8, WL Caprice
As the title states,i have a problem somewhere under the front left of my car (the berlina).It makes a strange sound while im turning right,in any way shape or form,it even does it on a straight road if just ease the steering right at all.Ohh and it does under acceleration too.I've looked under the car for rubbing but found nothing.The bloody thing was on a hoist alot lately due to a blown rear seel,ever since its been driveable again,its made this noise,can anyone help me solve it please.
PS,steering doesnt seem affected:bang:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could you tell us what type of noise so we can narrow it down a bit. For example, knocking, grinding, groaning or whining type noise. But for now how is the power steering fluid level.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Umm,more of a rubbing/grinding noise

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I can't think of anything except maybe an engine mount. Does the car feel rougher, as in do you feel engine vibrations?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
There may be a clue - when the rear seal was replaced they would have removed the transmission and also probably partially removed the exhaust system.....maybe when they bolted it up it wasn't in exactly the same position and now the exhaust or something is rubbing on the body/chassis. You'll need to get under the car and eyeball the exhaust system to see if its close to anything.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was starting to think that i should suss out the zorst,wat i may do is just get under the car and see wat moves

dozenmatta

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Sedan Barbados Mica Blue
I have a similar problem atm turning left. Does not really happen when going straight, but if i veer ever so slightly to the left i can hear it. it's a grinding noise.

I think it's the wheel bearing, which is $400 odd just for the part. I've chosen to put up with it for now.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ummm a place in Croydon sells the hub assemblies brand new to suit ABS cars for $200 each, you only need to do the side that is borked.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check the bushes on the link pins which go from the front stabiliser bar to the suspension strut.

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
As the title states,i have a problem somewhere under the front left of my car (the berlina).It makes a strange sound while im turning right,in any way shape or form,it even does it on a straight road if just ease the steering right at all.Ohh and it does under acceleration too.I've looked under the car for rubbing but found nothing.The bloody thing was on a hoist alot lately due to a blown rear seel,ever since its been driveable again,its made this noise,can anyone help me solve it please.
PS,steering doesnt seem affected:bang:

Hey I get a very similar thing - it has come and gone over time and it just came back the other week after a full engine / trans service..
I found (and this is goin to sound weird) that as soon as i put 98 premium fuel in it has almost gone away! I cant explain why???
The other day i put in normal 95 fuel and its starting to come back?
I know i shouldnt of taken acid in the 60's but i have no idea what it is!!:p
So if you have worked it out PM me. I have a dead stock motor/trans.