Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

STREETFIGHTER COMMODORE 1000HP IN-TANK FUEL MODULE (VE-VF)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
After doing heaps of reading on US forums apparently the GM FPCM (Non SC cars, LSA, ZL1) drops fuel pressure, as flow increases, which then increases injector duty cycle to compensate, which then becomes dangerous if your getting close to 100% duty cycle with less then ideal FP.

And no one knows why this happens. Some have been reprogramming or replacing the FPCM with ZL1 FPCM to get around it.

Any thoughts?

Im leaning towards going with DSX aux pump setup, as twin pump return style is just far more than I’ll ever need, and don’t want to pay for.

Seems to be widely used in US. Tank needs drilled and tapped though. Which I’m okay with.

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/a...uxiliary-fuel-pump-kit-for-2014-2017-chevy-ss
ok so KPM is quoting 500rkw n/a e85 using one 460lph pump... was thinking it was boosted but yea that lowering pressure thing with more power seems odd then must just be a n/a thing so i havnt herd of it, maby they just want higher pressure injector spray for idle/cruise to help with emissions then lower for power or something, if u get a small enough regulator can use a return style setup and just fit the reg beside the tank so it returns straight to it and just the feed to the engine using factory line so basicly stock, im not sure on the dsx aux setups havnt really looked at them but seen the odd one being used but he knows his stuff and a great tuner also should be fine, 1000 USD tho is getting up there close to a twin kit here

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so KPM is quoting 500rkw n/a e85 using one 460lph pump... was thinking it was boosted but yea that lowering pressure thing with more power seems odd then must just be a n/a thing so i havnt herd of it, maby they just want higher pressure injector spray for idle/cruise to help with emissions then lower for power or something, if u get a small enough regulator can use a return style setup and just fit the reg beside the tank so it returns straight to it and just the feed to the engine using factory line so basicly stock, im not sure on the dsx aux setups havnt really looked at them but seen the odd one being used but he knows his stuff and a great tuner also should be fine, 1000 USD tho is getting up there close to a twin kit here

Na I told him my setup, and he quoted 500rwkw. I didn't get a good vibe at all from the conversation, wont be going down the KPM road.

Yea works out about $1800 AUD delivered, which is getting close to the twin pump setups, but then there's the extra labour with the reg, return lines, fuel tank out ect. I wont be doing the job. Think I'm leaning down the DSX route. Thanks for your help man.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Na I told him my setup, and he quoted 500rwkw. I didn't get a good vibe at all from the conversation, wont be going down the KPM road.

Yea works out about $1800 AUD delivered, which is getting close to the twin pump setups, but then there's the extra labour with the reg, return lines, fuel tank out ect. I wont be doing the job. Think I'm leaning down the DSX route. Thanks for your help man.
I have the ASE twin pump on my VE 360rwkw on E85 just head and cam but had it for yrs no issues at all Screenshot_20200623-203031.png
Screenshot_20200623-203031.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Bernoulli understood all this fluid dynamics stuff but sadly I’ve forgotten so much of it. The gist of it is that as pipe diameter decreases, flow velocity increases and pressure decreases.

As is, I’d think an injector is effectively a pipe diameter reduction, so flow velocity through the injector would increase. When the injector is closed, the high fluid velocity may cause fluid impact issues. I’d think it’s much like when you turn off a tap in an old house. As such flow velocity through an injector may need to be within a given range to avoid damage. It may be that the ECU uses fuel pump duty cycle to reduce fuel pressure which reduces flow velocity to keep the fluid velocity within a given range. Injector duty cycle is used to control the amount of fuel getting into the combustion cylinder.

It’s a bit of speculation on my part as I’ve not digested all that @07GTS has posted but I’ll get there, one day :rolleyes:

Poiseuille’s was another smart Cooke who defined flow rate. Flow rate is proportional to the 4th power of the pipe radius and inversely proportional to fluid viscosity and pipe length. Basically as pipe diameter goes up so does flow rate and the longer or thicker the fluid the lower the flow rate.

Still don’t quite fathom how lowering pump pressure increases flow rate... doesn’t quite marry up to simple science.

In any case it really sounds like the whole shebang is a balance between fuel pump capacity (specs), fuel pipe size and injector size but the duty cycle of the pump and injector is fiddled so things work with some longevity within the desired operating range and power output one desires.

So much more to learn :cool::oops:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Still don’t quite fathom how lowering pump pressure increases flow rate... doesn’t quite marry up to simple science.:oops:
i may not have said it right its not the pumps flow lowering its the line pressure lowering, the pumps all flow what they flow 100% of the time just the line pressure is controlled by a regulator which changes the flow rate so as soon as u add more pressure to the line the pump has to work harder to maintain said pressure but it also has to keep filled at that pressure whilst injectors are spraying, ill show pic of a pump flow v pressure v amps chart so u can see it better

fuel-pump-pressure-v-flow.jpg