Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stroker kits in a ecotec are they really worth it

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
slightly worked vt eco with stage 2 crow cam, extractors, upgraded heads,cai, performance chip

i know its a six but im after a half decent burnout car, is a stroker kit really worth doing for the price???? is it worth spending 2000+ on stroking my motor, is spending this much going to be worth the extra horses or just a waste??? ie how much difference does a stroker kit really do for a 6???

Sescam94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt stroker twin turbo
Yeah deff worth it I stroked mine to a 4.2 and makes a massive diff then I put twin turbo setup on it

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
fark yeah sounds like a machine, did u need to upgrade box??? silly question i take it u did upgrade box... i hear the t700 boxes are strong but it would need to be upgraded to handle stroker kit yes??? ive been thinking bout stroker kit for a while but gotta do my diff first still confused on wether to go 4.11 or 3.9 ratio i really dont want the whiplash kikback,

Sescam94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt stroker twin turbo
Yeah had box fully re done with stage 2 shift kit as its only auto yeah you better do your diff first I have a locker on mine but I totally smashed it so need a stronger one

Sescam94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt stroker twin turbo
But I only done the box once turbos where done should handle stroker kit though

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I thought this through about a year ago. Crunched some numbers, discussed it with an engine builder who has built many v6's... and i chose not to bother, and stayed 3.8. Oh and it'll cost a lot more than $2k especially if you are refreshing the whole engine.

there are a few technical risks that people arent informed about and/ or dont know about. The earlier v6's in vn/vp/vr have a taller overall piston height which is much more stable when increasing the stroke. Ecotecs have a very shallow piston height which can induce excessive side loads on the pistons, and they can tilt off line. Causing accelerated bore and piston wear. There will people who disagree with this and say their cars run fine, but ive seen two failed stroker ecotecs that have been disassembled and they dont look good.

This is purely my opinion based on my research. I'm sure many ecotec strokers are running around making great power etc, but i wanted reliability to take a lot of abuse and i didnt want to take the risk.

What i would like to try one day (my tuner built one) is a hybrid stroker. 4.3 bottom end (earlier 3.8 block base) with ecotec heads and adaptor plates to house the ecotec manifold. This is a near bullet proof bottom end. That engine with twin turbos and lots of boost made about 450hp, and could take much more. cant remember what boost it ran at that time though

Last edited:

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I agree with GTP.

Definitley the pistons are shallower with short skirts.

Balancing to 0.1 gram yields the same results as stroke job.

Besides, lrger stroke = more laod on bearings 7 greater rotating mass = more risk to crank and big end bearings. Sroker reliability is questionable, even with a sump girdle.

greasemonkey24

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac 3.8
im looking into a rebuild mid year, thinkn of flat top pistons,.............. and thats as far as i got lmao
dnt know whats involved yet or even how to go about it......

think ill give the search button a good hammering and go from there!!!!!!!!!!