Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] stroking an ecotec

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
what recomendations do you have for decompressing a high comp 4.2l come stroker safley. mine runs 10.5-1 comp but i want to twinturbo it 2 x t28s running about 10-15 psi i bought my car already stroked and i dont mind spending a bit of money on it but at the same time i wont pay 10-15k to build another v6 id rather go ls1.

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
There's two options.

Yella Terra sell decompression head gaskets. They are made by Cometic and YT use them in thier Ecotec M90 conversion. I run them in mine and they take 28psi and a heap of revs. So if they are assembled correctly there's no reason not to use them. However the amount you will get out of them, I wouldn't know and I dare say it won't be heaps. It might go to 9.5? So should be good for 10-15psi at most. You'd also want to see what sort of pistons have been used. Whether they are forgies or hypereutectic (spelling???) pistons.

The other option you have is to get a set of blower pistons. Is it a COME or Pro Stroke kit? Either supplier will be able to help you out with a set of pistons. It will mean that the engine has to come out and pulled down to swap the pistons over. But it certainly won't cost you 10k, as it's just a piston swap. You'll have to run the rings in, but other than that, you should be sweet. The other advantage of going this way, is when the engine is being pulled down, all of the bearings can be checked to see if they are al in good order. This will prevent a possible problem before it's made it's self obvious. ;)

Going this way, you'll be able to dial in the CR you want.

Hope that helps.

Tark :)

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
thanks mate and its a come stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac manual/VE sportswagon omega Z-series
Sorry a bit of a thread dig
seemed like the best place to ask
were any of you guy able to get your 4.2 Supercharged cars engineered? (ENG CERT) Emissions, Nosie etc

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Mine was legal - in QLD all you need is a "mod plate" which goes in your engine bay and outlines all the changes done to your car. Of course a mechanic with the qualifications to issue a mod plate needs to go over the car and check it's all good, but it's a simple process and quite cheap - especially in comparison to other states where major mods need to be engineered.

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
can i ask how much you arfe spending ona v6 to get a low 14 second pass.

my advice sell it buy a vx ss should be able to find one with headers and tune you will have that time slip if not better.

then spend the money you plan on the $2k and you will have your 12 second pass

thats not the point....

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spot on! You cant put a price on embarassing a V8 driver. Thats why we do what we do.
PS, buy my stroker engine right now

####en oath. Well said VSSECO!! When i show up to the track the V8 boys laugh at me when I tell them its a 4.2l 6. Then i love to see the dumbarse looks i get when i put 2 car lengths on them at the finish line lol.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
It's always a little bit more rewarding I think.

Of course I'm not saying they all need embarassing, but you always come across one or two who think that buying the V8 automaticaly makes them some kind of engine guru. They fear what they dont understand and love to put down anyone turning a spanner on a tuff 6