Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strong Coolant Smell

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Hi,

I took my Series 2 piece of **** for a 500km holiday (250kms each way) and on the way back i could smell coolant. Everything looked normal on the temperature department so i kept going. When i got home i turned on the airconditioning and it was rank, strong smell of coolant so i checked the carpets on the passenger side for any leaks to which it's all dry.

I have a suspicion the heater core is leaking but if there is no wet carpet where the f*ck is the coolant going? Are there any other tests to determine if it's the heater core?

Yes, the car is only 1.5yrs old and done 25,000Kms so will be a warranty claim however they can't get it in until later next week, not sure if i should be driving it.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I'm not sure what the level of coolant was before so unable to make comment on that at this stage. What i do know is that i can smell it quite badly when i turn on the heater or aircon.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
rank smell could be blocked/partly blocked drain on A/C heater box, this could be leaving a small amount of water in there and it is going rank as you call it after a while (even a day/or overnight) no fresh air flow to clear out picking up smell from the stale moisture in the box

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
mate check the heater hoses on the drivers side near the fire wall...holden had a revise of the hoses as the were crap and leaked.....had to change the ones on my misses sv6 a couple months ago...same deal.....very strong smell of coolant as it was dripping on the headers...not enough of a leak to make a difference in the coolant level but enough to make it smell absolutely horrid...good luck