Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strong Petrol smell in my Vn

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
yeah. its the smaller hose. While you have the tank dropped, its probally a good idea to clean all the crap outa the bottom of it at the same time (not sure if thats what your saying 308).

also try repco and coventry for the hose. between those two, you could almost build a complete VP. For a budget price of only around $70,000 ! :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i went 2 repco askin bout these brether hoses they said they didnt have nething like it?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Just to also note, fuel smells can be casued by:

Damaged or warn petrol cap - Replace/renew @ $20ish
Damaged or Warn breather hoses - Replace Renew (i have no idea, not much)
Worn fuel rail intake o ring - Replace/Renew ($3)
Worn Fuel Return Lines - Replace Renew
Worn Pressure Regulator (or lines) - Reaplce/renew

aZk.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Fuel Line replacement

Fortunately his tank is still out so I snapped this.We used Goss 5MM Fuel Hose or the Automotive Fuel hose 3/16th in the old money.Both are freely available at most car part shops & u can buy it by the metre.It'll take arnd 2mtrs of thin stuff to do all the thin plumbing & set u back a few $.For the thick black 10cm pipe we used the clear reinforced pipe with Fuel/Food Ressitant 0622205 printed on the side from Clark Rubber for arnd $2.Bearing in mind it is not a fuel delivery pipe but merely a breather.I had truble buying the thick pipe yrs ago 4 my Calais so I went to Pirtek & bought the real heavy Industrial stuff cost me around $22.This was of course before I found out most of the Fuel/Gas hoses u'll eva need for your car are available at Clark Rubber.

Attachments

• 14102007.jpg
    14102007.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,406

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanx 4 the pics 308vk i know wat im lookin 4 exactly now haha hopefully this is all thats wrong with mine

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Cool, np's.Jst becareful ramming the thin hose on the breather canainster nipples as they're plastic & may break off.Slip a bit of fag grease on there 1st....

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well finally gettin around 2 fixing my leakin problem i took off the stone guard 2day 2 have a much closer look, as i suspected i thought it would b the fuel filler hose pipe that that connects 2 the filler pipe and the fuel tank but im not so sure its leakin from there now? tho i noticed some cracks in each of the smaller hoses thats in the pics below.

Can some explain 2 me how this section works wen u go 2 fill ur car up? then i might b able 2 work out where its leakin from, coz really thats the only time mine leaks.

Image010.jpg

Image011.jpg

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Two of the breather hoses go to the top of the tank. You probably find that these have cracked and broken off. When you fill the tank up fuel comes out of these broken breather hoses from the tank.

Follow the breather hoses and see where they go. If they just end nowhere then they have broken off.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
do i have 2 drop the tank fully 2 do this?? also in the 2nd pic theres a short hose thats been cut off and has a self tapper screw in it, is that normal or ment 2 b closed off? wats that thicker hose on the left hand side of the filler pipe 4 and go 2?

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
I have a wagon so there are some differences between a sedan.

The broken line with the self tapper is one end of the hose. It should go to the top of the tank. Someone has cut the hose and plugged it and may have done the same for the other end.

Here is what I did when I changed the fuel pump, remember that it is for the wagon. I believe that the sedan has some of the pipes running through a hole in the chassis.

1. Do this when the tank is empty.
2. Support the tank using a trolley jack and a large piece of wood to spread the load on the bottom of the tank.
3. Loosen the large filler hose clamps. It may pay to disconnect the fuel pump and sensor connectors. TRY NOT TO REMOVE THE SMALLER HARD PLASTIC PIPE AS IT IS A PAIN TO GET BACK ON.
4. Undo the two bolts holding the tank strap on.
5. Lower the jack slowly and check for any hoses or cables. I dropped it about 100mm, just enough to see and reach the top of the tank. It did need some help as some of the tar stuff kept it up.
6. You should see two hoses or the pipes they are attached to.
7. Replace the hoses and run them back to the filler area. I used clamps and fuel line.
8. Jack the tank up and refit the bolts.

This guy has some photos which may help;

some of the hoses will need replacing, these hoses dont have petrol constantly through them so what should i replace them with? is the plastic tube sufficient?

also what can i do about the overflow for the tank, its solid plastic with a metal inlay i think. its rock hard and impossible to bend and will make putting the tank back on a mission.

Overflow
fuel4.jpg

Originally came through that gap directly above the hose and red circle.
fuel1-1.jpg

state of the hoses
fuel3.jpg

more hose
fuel2.jpg

Original thread;
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/57511-fuel-pump-issues.html