Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strong Petrol smell in my Vn

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by SAMO-87, Oct 9, 2007.

1. iRiot

iRiot Merc with a Mouth

Members Ride:
    1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
    i busted mine off out bush picking up my brother in law up from work and didnt notice till i lost 1/4 a tank of fuel need had to drive a hour without it being on to get home from bust and fix it i was not happy lost half a tank and when the presurre builts up it flows alot quicker rofl!!

2. Lost_Pete

Lost_Pete Member

Members Ride:
    VN Wagon
    Re: Hoses

I took the remains of the hoses down to Repco/Supercheap and matched them up to fuel line hoses. Other people on this forum have said that Clark Rubber have a range of fuel resistance hoses that they have used. My local car parts place also had hoses to suit. I also bought clamps to suit. Don't try to join the broken hoses together as it doesn't last (I tested this). Also be very careful about removing the hose from the black canister as the nipples feels fragile.

Gates list in their catalogue "Safety Stripe II" hose and "Fuel Filler Neck Hose" which your spare parts place should be able to get for you.

3. slo_firo

slo_firo New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Ute
    i couldnt figure why my VG reeked of petrol at all times - turned out to be a dodgy weld job on the tank around the fittings.... that tank got turned into a nice garden ornament.... and now probably houses a family of rats lol

i couldnt believe there would be someone dumb enough to repair a tank put it back in the ute and leave it seeping

4. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    thanx 4 the info and pics pete i managed 2 go down 2 holden 2 find out exactly all the hoses and lengths i needed they dont supply the vapour hoses nemore so couldnt find out the lengths of each hose but they said basicly wat u have already said which i did 2day, went down 2 repco got 3 metres of 4.8mm fuel hose (mayb bit extreme on length) got it 4 $10.80 + filler hose tank pipe (part number 92038129) from holden $5.50 so all up its gonna cost $17 2 replace all the hoses back 2 new im gonna give this a go in the next few weeks

5. Lost_Pete

Lost_Pete Member

Members Ride:
    VN Wagon
    Good stuff. Hope it all goes well. Just remember that the smaller hard black hose is really hard to get back on so try not to take it off.

6. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    pete that small black hose i had a look at 2day how does that go 2gether exactly it looks like the rubber hose fits inside that slightly larger small rubber hose ur talkin bout lol? y is it like that? can i not just connect it up 2 the metal pipe on the other end?

7. Lost_Pete

Lost_Pete Member

Members Ride:
    VN Wagon
    Hi,

Decided to pull that part of the car apart and get you some pictures. Would have been sooner but Sydney is half underwater today!

Anyway.

Fuel Tank1A.jpg

Shows the canister and top of the fuel filler.

Fuel Tank 2A.jpg

Shows the bottom of the canister.

Fuel Tank 3A.jpg

Shows the lines as they pass near the fuel tank.

Hose #1 starts out near the top of the filler pipe. It is a small hose but then is joined to another short larger hose (You can just see it at the edge of the picture "Fuel Tank 3A.jpg"). This then goes into a hard fuel line.

Hoses #2 and #3 start at the bottom of the canister and run to the top of the tank.

Hard Hose runs from the top of the filler pipe and runs near the filler pipe as it enters the fuel tank.

Note that there are also two hoses from the top of the filler pipe to the top of the canister. These need to be replaced as well.

Also note that the hose clamps and some of the hoses in the picture are not the standard ones and that the standard hose is sort of clear and smaller in outside diameter. The wet patches aren't fuel but due to the drenching the car got today!

Hope this helps.

Pete

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  8. Lost_Pete

Lost_Pete Member

Members Ride:
    VN Wagon
    p.s This is on a V6 wagon.

9. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    thanx 4 goin 2 so much effort 4 that pete now hose #1 in ur pics did u change the smaller hose that starts at the top of the filler pipe that then fits into that smaller larger hose thats at the other end of that hose? basiclly i wanna know how that hose is attached 2 the smaller diameter hose? has it just been pushed inside the smaller hose?

10. Lost_Pete

Lost_Pete Member

Members Ride:
    VN Wagon
    hmmm............good question.

Because I changed these over a number of years starting with the easy ones at the top I can't remember whether I changed hose #1. I vaguely remember that I did get the right size hose the first time I changed these.

Personally if you have the right size hose then I would change it.

11. Gringo

Gringo New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Acclaim
    Cut the 17mm OD black hose before you lower the tank, I paid $9 at the local holden dealer,replace the wire clips with small clamps, it's much easier

12. bubbada

bubbada Member

Members Ride:
    91' VN Commodore
    Just for reference i got a new fuel tank vent hose (which is the big breather) the other day, only 1 guy on ebay selling the oem 92039189 and has 2 left at time of this post. (getting Very Rare)

Specs
    HOLDEN COMMODORE FUEL TANK VENT PIPE
    • SUITS ALL VN VG VP VQ VR VS
    • THIS IS THE VENT PIPE THAT RUNS FROM TANK UP TO FILLER PIPE
    • APPROX 15 MM INSIDE DIAMETRE AND 580 MM LONG
    • COMMON FOR THESE TO GO ROCK HARD
    • THIS IS NOS GENUINE HOLDEN FUEL VENT PIPE
    so i thought id share this with you guys.