Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

struggle when accelerating, choking?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
hey everyone.
i have a vz alloytec 3.6, has 196,000km on the clock, with a k&n filter and catback exhaust. lately i have noticed, when im revving especially when going uphill, the engine is almost struggling and keeps jerking until i put my foot all the way down and push. i had a few people tell me it has to do with the throttle control..
can anyone share any light on what it could be?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
What is the service history of your car?

Have you checked the fuel filter(s), have you ensured that the air intake is clean and no rubbish in/on the filter, have you checked the M.A.F. (Mass Air Flow meter), when did you last change spark plugs, has the problem appeared not long after you re-fueled the car. Perhaps someone poured something (nasty) into your petrol tank. Have you upset any of the neighbours recently? Before sending the car into a workshop make sure that all aspects of intake and combustion are set to or performing to manufacturers specifications. That's probably one of the first things a workshop will do.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
how much oil is in your filter? air flow meter could possibly be coated with residue from the filter,

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
last service done about 4000km ago, did new k&n filter, carby cleaned the engine, new oil/fuel filters.
i havent changed the plugs in over 40,000km, could that be related?

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
I had a similar problem recently, found that one of the coil packs and spark plugs was faulty.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I've got the same symptoms as you... up hill it feels like its jerking a little.. and you have to put your foot down more to get it to go.

Spark plugs are around 15,000km old.. but no way i can be certain if a coil pack is faulty...

Anyone have a 100% definitive way to confirm if a coil pack is causing an issue?