Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut Brace... Are They Worth It?

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
I've read all this over the last few days and pissed myself laughing every time (no literally, had to change jocks and everything ), i thought i better add my 2 cents worth, so here goes.

If you design a car properly in the first place, you shouldn't have to put add-on's later down the track.

Thats not exactly the best example of what im trying to say, but seeing as how the topic has touched rear wing's, you can design a car right so that it doesn't need one.

For example, the BMW M3 and M5 don't have one, and there speed limited to 250 km/h.

Mercedes benz E55 and AMG Compressor's areanother.

Pity only rich bastards can afford them.

And as for the bucket under the car, i'd use a tarp, it'll catch more oil for you to re-use.

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
QUOTE Pity only rich bastards can afford them. 

Give me a true Aussie car any day!!! I could afford to buy BMW or MERC but why the hell would you want to when the Commy's look so good dressed up!! And they are AUSSIE !!! Even with a few rattles and imperfections the GMH is for me!!

I have been watching this argument since recently joining coz I have a VT that I bought new that has the wanders in the rear end at highway speed. Used to be ok on the original Bridgestones...then went to Sumitomo's and it went up the sh1t. The Sumi's were just a better class of tyre and with a bit of messing with the alignment it did improve but still not 100%. The Sumi's just responded heaps better and the steering just became too sensitive. Recently I have put new 17" rims and Dunlop 9000's on and it's OK.....but I still think it handled better on the original Bridgy's...they were just a sloppyer feel and suited the setup. BTW its FE2 on a VT 'S' series 1. My local tyre fitter touched on the idea of the strut brace and he consulted by phone his 'Guru' and like others have said here, he is of the opinion that if you drive hard in corners then yes you will see improvement with the brace added. But otherwise it is of little benefit.

Came across an article on a website all about the VT and making it handle better that was printed in Street Commodores Magazine, August 2001. I have always had probs getting mine to stop drifting left in a straight line. This article was an eye opener coz it mentioned that VT series 1 had this very prob....same as mine!! Funny how for 5 years no one could tell me why this was so and put it in the too hard basket. Check out the link if interested and click on the link 'Heavyweight.. Making the VT-VX Dance' http://www.whiteline.com.au/Project/commodoreVT.htm Its an easy fix with the fitment of a spacer washer to the right hand side. I am the first to admit I am not a chassis or suspension expert and know very little about it. I do know what feels wrong or when something changes for the worse you start asking questions and seeking answers. For now I will sit on the fence with the strut brace coz I dont drive hard around corners all that often...the Mrs and Kids dont appreciate it either!!

Incidently...has anyone got opinions on the Whiteline brand of suspension products? http://www.whiteline.com.au/Default.asp

Cheers
Rob

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
oh btw i'm not sure if anyone already mentioned it here, but fitting a strut brace while you've still got rubber bushes is a complete waste of time

Z

zoidberg

G'day all

QUOTE oh btw i'm not sure if anyone already mentioned it here, but fitting a strut brace while you've still got rubber bushes is a complete waste of time

I took my VT to Pedders Suspension and had the Shocks, Springs, an IRS kit and the strut brace (which is about double the size of the Holden one). I am extremely happy with there work.

I had an accident about a month back. Completely my fault i can admit, there is no excuse for me not changing the tyres.
Tail slipped out, car grbbed traction again as the tail is hanging out to the left and took off towards trees on the right. I locked it up and made it understeer back across the road becuase the embankment was softer than trees.

My Question is, I had nolethylene/nylethene what eva it is put in to replace the damaged......Good or bad move you think? I feel the car is the same or maybe NOT as good low speed but at high speed i think it turns in and holds on better.

Anybody got anything to say on this?
Rob

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
good move at least that stuff dont breakup as fast and the reason it feels different is that its new and needs time to wear in then it should feel like it used to (well to a point how it should feel)

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
nolathane bushes are not supposed to last as long as rubber ones. they are also supposedly a pretty hard ride. they will help with handling for the same reason as strut braces are supposed to work - they take the squish out of the suspension.

R

Rock56077

If you modify the front end suspension with heavier springs. This tends to give to give you a more jumpier ride on the ride. Its better with coil over springs. It gives you a better ride.