Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut Height

accomotors

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
G'day, I'm new here but am chasing some information regarding VR/VS IRS struts. I hope this is the right room to be posting this question in. I am looking at removing the complete undercarriage and running gear from an IRS Commodore and putting it in a track car (still in the VERY early stages of design). I figure an IRS Commodore is going to give better handling characteristics than a live axle model, and parts and knowledge are going to be plentiful and cheapish.

The reason I ask the question regarding strut heights is because the front will need to fit underneath the hood of the recipient vehicle whilst still retaining a low ride height. I was hoping someone with some of these parts might be able to help me out. I was thinking along the lines of very low springs on standard struts, and was hoping someone would be kind enough to be able to make some measurements with the parts in situ.

I want to have the shortest possible strut I can from hub center line to top mounting bracket. If someone with a very low car on standard struts could measure theirs, I would be most grateful. If measuring overall strut height is troublesome, a measurement from the top of the tire to the top of the strut and a tire size as installed would be great, I could work it out from that.

I hope this post isn't too confusing and looking forward to hearing from some car owners.
Thanks very much in advance,

James