Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuck Harmonic balancer bolt

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
what I did was take the washer off the bolt, used the bolt to pull the balancer in a bit, then put the washer back on and tightened it.
Should be fine, it's how I've done every harmonic balancer, the woodruff key (the bit that goes into the keyway slot on the harmonic balancer) will index and make sure it goes on straight.

For a bolt that big and a thread that course it should have been pretty apparent to you if you had threaded it when you installed it. Sometimes harmonic balancers are just hard to get off.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Should be fine, it's how I've done every harmonic balancer, the woodruff key (the bit that goes into the keyway slot on the harmonic balancer) will index and make sure it goes on straight.

For a bolt that big and a thread that course it should have been pretty apparent to you if you had threaded it when you installed it. Sometimes harmonic balancers are just hard to get off.
Woodruff key on an LS?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Woodruf Key is nonexistent on my LY7,
The Keyway is cut into the crank, but not on the bottom pulley,
as I don't think it's a harmonic balancer on a LY7, as its just a twin pulley.

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Update, not fixed yet but threads on crank will def be stuffed.
I had been trying to loosen the bolt by cranking the engine but engine would crank then stop and bolt was still tight, so I assumed it was not working.
Then I had a thought maybe I forgot to put the washer back on the bolt after I did the initial tighten to pull the balancer in.
I checked and washer was there .... but loose ... turns out the cranking was turning the bolt.
I have driven about 1000km like that ( was on holidays) and does not look like balancer has moved at all even though the bolt is not hard against it.

Will find what damage I have caused when I eventually get it off, I assume will probably need a timecert or heli coil for the crank.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Pull your starter motor out,
Drown the harmonic balancer bolt it with WD40,
And jam something in the starter motor hole to hold the motor still,
Then, Breaker bar and piece of tube on the breaker bar to loosen the bolt. I am guessing it has Loctite on the thread.

Last edited:

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Pull your starter motor out,
Drown the harmonic balancer bolt it with WD40,
And jam something in the starter motor hole to hold the motor still,
Then, Breaker bar and piece of tube on the breaker bar to loosen the bolt. I am guessing it has Loctite on the thread.
Hi,
No loctite was used, I am petty sure the threads in the crank/bolt will be stuffed otherwise why would the bolt sill be stuck when it's not even touching the balancer now.
My car is a manual so I put it in sixth gear to stop the engine spinning.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi,
No loctite was used, I am petty sure the threads in the crank/bolt will be stuffed otherwise why would the bolt sill be stuck when it's not even touching the balancer now.
My car is a manual so I put it in sixth gear to stop the engine spinning.

First would be better...