Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed up when replacing oil pressure switch... HELP

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
After doing an oil change and replacing the oil pressure switch this arvo i started the car and noticed a small stream of oil coming from the thread of the pressure switch. I tightened the switch up a little more and the housing just broke apart! I'm talking about the thread that the switch screws into.

What the hell did I do wrong and what am I up for?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
On closer look it is the 'oil filter adapter' that I've broken. Going to be a pain of a job to replace that :(

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Must have been cracked before you started :( Was it leaking oil?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Wasn't 'leaking' but had a build up of old oil around the connector. Not really any different to any other commodore. Looking at what I'll have to do to replace it it appears I'll have to remove the P.S pump to get acsess to the bolts.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I don't think that it's all that much of a pain - two bolts and some gasket scraping isn't it?

The oil pressure switch thread is tapered, I think = wedge action when tightened, breakage if over tightened. Some thread sealing paste - something along the lines of Loctite PST but even 242 is OK - on clean threads will make the seal.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Cheap6, There's four bolts. Three external and one inside the the oil filter seal. The problem is getting access to two of the bolts, plus sourcing a new or 2nd hand one and a new gasket. On top of that I have to get a lift to work until it's fixed.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I've ordered a replacement oil filter adapter for $38 including the gasket but some of the bolts look impossible to access. Do I need to remove the power steering pump and there is a curved bracket that looks to be in the way.

Any advice? I'm hoping I don't have to remove the timing cover just to repair it.

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
i had a mate, working at holden dealership service,

he taught me(through his mistake lol) the thread of these doesnt go all the way, otherwise you crack the housing

i dont think the timing cover has to come off, just gotta get to the bolts

just out of curiousity, why did you need to replace the oil pressure switch?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
theres 4 bolts, ones on the inside when you remove the oil filter, also watch for the regulator valve and spring that sits in the gallery

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
admir87, you're exactly right. I got the new adapter late this arvo and tonight went out to the garage to check to see I didn't stuff the thread on the new switch. It only screws in about 5 or 6 threads before stopping. I tried the old switch thinking I stuffed the new one and it was the same. Suddenly occured to me I simply tried to screw it in too far. Let this be a lesson.

I wanted to replace it because I figured the oldone had a slight weep which made a big mess over time. I get them for only about $6 anyway. All my parts I get for cost price plus 5%.