Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stupid IBM R60 keeps random BSODing.

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Machine will boot and log in fine, Sometime within 10 minutes it will BSOD with various different error codes: STOP 0xF4, 0x7B, 0x4F...etc. The BSOD’s don’t seem to happen in safe mode though, Which leads me to believe it’s a running process rather than hardware, Because my first thought was dodgy ram, However virus scans are turning up nothing. I’ve tried telling it to chkdsk via my computer, it boots to the screen then seems to skip over it. I tried booting to the xp cd to run the recovery console, and it didn’t detect the hard drive at all. Same deal with Winternals, it didn’t detect the hdd. I installed the recovery console as a seperate boot option and tried to boot to it, but it bluescreens. System restore fails, saying no changes have been made despite plenty of restore points. All drivers seem to be fine. I'm stumped. Ideas?

Fonzie :thumbsup:

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
Sounds like a Mobo issue to me or a psu one, had a desktop id been trouble shooting for days switching out everything and ended up being the PSU Failing.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yep, my first guess would be PSU or Motherboard.

I'm leaning more towards motherboard, but depending on your PSU it may be cheaper/easier to test that frst.

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-
It's a notebook, if the cable fails the battery takes up the slack, and vice versa. I'm thinking it has to be motherboard... I just can't figure out why it doesn't do it in safe mode too. I booted it to user mode and ended all the processes I could and it still failed.
I've seen problems like this be ram too though. Ah well, not my notebook.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The R60's have been trouble at my school. We're always calling up IBM to come and fix them. Thank god they're almost all gone. Usually we find the problem is Motherboards in them. For some reason they keep dying. Bytecraft are always out replacing them for IBM.

RAM's cheap nowadays, if you want try that, but there hasn't been a single R60 or R61 in our school that has needed it's RAM changed. Usually only motherboard.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
If it were a RAM issue you would most likely be getting page faults in the BSODs.

I didn't realise they were laptops, that would explain why I've never heard of them ;)