Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub amp and 6*9's in a VT

D

dave

i am putting 2 10" sub a 4 channel amp and six by nines in my VT. i cant afford the head unit i want so i'm gonna use the stock one. my problem is i don't wich wires go where from the plug in the back. does any body know which wires correspont with which colours.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Does the stock VT headunit have RCA outputs? Otherwise you can't hook your headunit up to your amp.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
The stockers head unit dont got no RCA outs on it. But i've seen some where if your techinally minded enough to add them in yourself.
Now if only i can remember where . . .
I found that the VT-VX shape is soooo much easier than the VS to install
stereo gear! ;)

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
The only problem with changing the output connections is that, from the stock headunit, you have a high voltage (enough to pwer speakers) coming through the wires, where as with RCA, usually theres a low voltage signal and the amp picks it up. Running a higher voltage might damage your amp our atleast give off noise.

S

soundmanjimmy

All you need to do is go to jaycar and buy a crossfader ( it has one set of rca inputs and two outputs, rear and front). Then buy a high level converter, all this does is drops the voltage of the speaker output to around 2.4 - 3.5 volts. Connect the high low converter to the rear speakers output. then from the converter directly into the crossfadervia rca leads . From the crossfader go to the amp. and TADA you now have control of your sub volume. Mount the crosssfader under your dash or in the glovebox. where ever you want it.

Anymore questions just email me.. I do this for a living..

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
Why get an amp?

For very little money you can pick up a new (or near new) head unit -even with MP3 capability and reasonable 4 channel outputs to around 20 watts (genuine). Check out ebay.
Buy the most efficient speaker you can find and the difference between this setup and one with a 100 watt amp will be hard to pick in real life driving conditions.
Of course if you want a sub-woofer an amp is desirable. The smallest Jaycar 2 channel unit wired in bridge for single output with one subwoofer works fine. And speaking of subwoofers... don't go for really big ones -the space in most car installations means an enclosure to get the last little bit of the bottom end is not possible anyway and a single good 8" will often just give as good a result as two 10' units anyway and still leave you a useable boot space.
If you don't have a properly designed vented enclosure then you are probably just wasting your time and money getting a subwoofer. I use Bassbox pro for the design.
In a ute a 4 channel head unit gives two channels for main speakers and two channels for subwoofer(s) but a low pass filter is needed for subwoofer(s) for best results.
Tell me your opinion on this as I know many don't agree with me. I just listen to the music and don't set out to get booked for excess noise or enter soundoff comps!
Jeff

D

dust_master

i would think that if you've not got enough money for a H/U then you would skip the 6x9s in the back (they're kinda a waste with the sub anyway...might as well go for 6" or so).

buy a h/u and a sub and amp...you'll be set. you can have the rear speakers that are stock in the car at the moment...i would suggest not skimping on things, get something you'll want not cheap ass brands. (im not talking super expensive...just stick to well known brands...sony, pioneer, etc ....not BOSS :p).

later on with more money u can buy speakers, and what not.

~Justin

want better audio advice... www.caraudioaustralia.com.au (or .com)

:p