Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub & Amp Question

VRDaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
buy 1 mono block amp and load up both subz on one channel only is best way to run subz
if you cant afford new amp right now bridge 2 channels and put from + of amp to + of both subz and - of amp to - of both subz
make sure box is sealed tight and chambered but both sides must be same size
feel free to ask any q's noone will bag ya we all learn daily

I'll use this solution until I can save for an amp. Thanks for putting it in simple terms as well ... lol

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
No dont do that!!!!

This will present the amp with a 2 ohm load as that is parallel wiring, which is fine if your amp can handle 2 ohms bridged, but any amp that lists its specs in max power is unlikely to be thus capable. This will likely end up in a cooked amp!

If you bridge two channels, just run a single woofer! This is what i would do in your position: bridge 3+4 to run a SINGLE woofer. I hope this hasnt confused you more, but trust me, you do not wanna run two subs, wired down to two ohms, from a bridged four channel. Any questions feel free to ask. Daron is usually pretty good - he must have been tired when he wrote that :)

VRDaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
No dont do that!!!!

This will present the amp with a 2 ohm load as that is parallel wiring, which is fine if your amp can handle 2 ohms bridged, but any amp that lists its specs in max power is unlikely to be thus capable. This will likely end up in a cooked amp!

If you bridge two channels, just run a single woofer! This is what i would do in your position: bridge 3+4 to run a SINGLE woofer. I hope this hasnt confused you more, but trust me, you do not wanna run two subs, wired down to two ohms, from a bridged four channel. Any questions feel free to ask. Daron is usually pretty good - he must have been tired when he wrote that :)

Phew, lucky I didn't do anything yet.

Would something like this be appropriate to run one sub, properly? or two?

Last edited:

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hmm. It could work for both, you would just have to be careful not to push to hard. Whats the exact model subs, and your budget for an amp and perhaps some suggestions can be made (that is if you havent bought anything yet :) ) but id imagine the jaycar monos or second hand look like your price bracket. Remember to always look for RMS figures with speakers and amps, max power figures are next to useless

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
that is too small still. You need 800wrms @ 4ohm to power a single sub. Or 1600wrms @ 2ohm to power both subs.