Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub box fell apart?

Dan_VX_Spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Ok well i got my new deck in and started listening to tunes again finally!
The other day i thought my sub was making weird ab normal sounds. Like it wasnt hitting the notes the way it was suppose to. I turned the bass to -6 and bass control to 0 on my amp. When i turned the volume up to a certain point it would make the same noise.
Upon further investigation i found that the top of the box has come loose and when the bass hits hard it just rattles it continiously.
Should i get a new box or just glue this one down?

Cheers Dan

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well that most likely happened because it was built poorly from the begining.

Was it a pre-fabricated one, or something you built yourself?

What sub / amp are we talking about to get a better idea on things...

Dan_VX_Spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
It's a pre fab box. Its housing a single Kicker L7 12" the amp im running is the kicker kx1200.1. Im also thinking of running a dual setup and gettin a new amp

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well a pre fab wasn't a good idea form the start. Most are made too thin (16mm sometimes less) and are usually just glued together with no screws, internal bracing or anything.

You could repair it, and even modify it, but i wouldn't bother, unless your not really fussy about your subs performance. I'd build a new box that is closer to the specs of the sub, that way not only will it last, but it will help you to get the most out of your sub aswell.

I guess it comes down to what you want, how much you want to spend and how far your willing to go, and of course your DIY skills , available tools ect...

Dan_VX_Spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Yeah i was thinking of getting a built box. I was so frustrated that my music sounded so shitty. Il just look at gettin a dual setup for 2 12"s built and an ampp to suit.
Cheers for your help

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The L7's IMO are better suited to ported enlclosures if your building your own.

Dan_VX_Spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
Yeah i seen some on youtube with large ports on the front of the box

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That's a pretty beefy amp for just one L7.

Earlier this year I built a couple of ported SPL boxes for my L7s, any bigger and you won't be able to get them in.

snc00396d.jpg

If you want about halfway down this page I start building the boxes, dimensions are in there somewhere too, http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/141891-advice-building-some-spl-sub-boxes-3.html

vt josh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
whats the best score you did with that box i think you would be louder if the box was smaller seems to big to me

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Never ended up getting a reading, the comp was called off because retards didn't pre-register, they all just rocked up on the day.

But as soon as my H/U is fixed and another comp comes up, than I will be there.

And they are only 2.5cu.ft each. They don't go all the way back because the middle seatbelt bolt sticks down and stops them.