Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Box

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i have a vs as most of you would know i want to mount a sub box in the boot behind the seat but i want to mount it thru boot floor with some bolts can it be done without removing the fuel tank i havn't actually looked in that area of the underside of the car.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Ahh, l have the same problem, same car and all. I don't know how to do it and my box at the moment is REALLY pissing me off to as when my car goes over a bump the sub box just bounces in my boot.
I'll be watching for the solution !!

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
i went on a cruise one night and was going onto a freeway on ramp and all of a sudden there was a bang from the boot so i pulled over to find that the sub was upside down from going to fast around the corner and driving like an bat out of hell

even the wires had been pulled out of the sub

Regards Daniel

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
what about an L shaped bracket...about 4 of em and screw them to the subbox and then into the base of the boot..

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Nah, l've figured it out...well not me really.

My cousin came down with his hsv manta (damm l'm jealous!!!) and obviously he has a similar boot to mine, with a sub box in it. What l'll do is l'll go and take some photos and show you how he did it. I wouldn't have thought of it!!

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Ok, so this is how he did it. I haven't done it yet as you can see in the photo, l'll get around to it sooner or later though!!

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
good idea but wouldnt hitting bumps and things cause undue stress on the sub box.

ahh unless you put a plate on the inside of the box and bolt thru that should take some of the stress away.

just a thaught.

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I made my box JUST high enough to squeeze up the back, it doesn't stay there and usually comes back down towards the end of the boot but l might make it abit tighter and then screw it and place two bolts behind the sub box in the parcel shelf to stop it moving back. Might work....

Yeah l'm going to place a plate on the inside, just behind the seat, then one IN my box with a few washers (spring and normal) to make sure theres no stress on either the box OR the brace behind the seat. Should be easy as its only abit of metal!!!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I mounted my subs right behind the back seat which sits above diff, you should be able to drill holes down there and mount the boxes onto the floor with L Brakets.

Cheers,
Jim

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
ok i figured out how to mount my sub box with the L brackets

i made the brackets out of 3mm steel flat bar
mounted the brackets to where the rear seats slides on two bolts in each mount
then screwed the mounts to the sides of the sub box wont move now might put two more brackets in to stop the box lifting over big bumps but for now it dont move alot at all id say about 10mm up and down if you force it but no sideways or forward & backward movement at all
best part is you cant see the brackets unless you look hard