Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Boxes

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
certain subs require certain types of boxes, then again it can come down to personal taste. I've only ever had sealed, but I nearly got ported into the cabin to help with the sound, never did it.

I should probably research it a bit more. But all I'm saying is that certain subs take certain setups.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Simple buddy. A box with a port in it is good for music with long droning bass. A box with no port is good for thumping doof doof.

It mainly depends on your taste and style, rather than the sub. If you listen to rock music or pop, a ported box will be best for the long basslines.

If you listen to RnB (I don't condone the practice) you should try a sealed box AND a ported box, as a lot of the music thumps, then continues to drone.

If you like techno or dance, sealed boxes will make the most of the beat.

I have a ported box because I like big bass, but Im going to get a second sub one day, and it will be sealed. Its up to you.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
cheers for the answers all. yea i listen to dance music and my box is fully sealed and isnt ported. im just in the process of adding some sound proof matting to the tray of my ute where the box is so as it hopefully gets rid of some of the vibration and excess noise.

i pulled out the box and it was the first time i had ever seen my sub hehe!

B

blanch

Hi

It also depends on what the manufacturer recommends. Alpine have the S Type and the R Type. It's recommended that the r type is ported and the s type is sealed.

I have a single s type in my vs commodore running off a m-500 mono block and it kicks you in the back if you want it to, it's a sealed box.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
true some subs require no ports but with ports more air movment more sound

Q

quiksilver

So how good are the pre-made sub boxes that sit in the boot etc.? I guess these are free-air, but which way should they face in a sedan boot? I am too lazy to make my own sub-box, so thought these were cost effective...

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
face them towards the rear of the vehicle more air to create turbulance =better bass

Gav95VS

Reaction score
QUOTE (quiksilver @ Mar 14 2004, 01:53 PM)So how good are the pre-made sub boxes that sit in the boot etc.? I guess these are free-air, but which way should they face in a sedan boot? I am too lazy to make my own sub-box, so thought these were cost effective... 
i have a single 12" clarion sub in a pre-made box, for best sound quality in the cabin sit the sub at the right hand side of the boot firing at the quarter panel roughly inline with the hinge for boot lid.
this is how i set mine up and it shakes the whole car