Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub cutting out under load!

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
have a soundstream t4 900rms sub and a kenwood 900rms amp running it, everything is set to minimum, when i turn up the input sensitivity the sub clips and turns off ? there is no gain on this amp :S need help!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Sounds like it's going into protection mode. The gain on the amp isn't so much of an issue if the sub level can be set from the head unit. If the sub is clipping then it's reaching it's limit so just don't turn it up so much or buy a more powerful amp.

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
ok so i have 2 other subs in there running off another amp, then this sub and amp combo by itself, even turned up the slightest it turns off ? and it doesnt even pump looks like its not even moving ? is the sub ####ed ? ive tried different levels of everything and keeps making a scratching noise then stops ?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Scratching noises means the voice coil is either burnt or off-center. Does it scratch if you push the cone in with your hand? Obviously when it's not running. If it does, it's toasted.

vhgasser

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore,Holden captiva
could be your amp as well if it was your coil he would of smelt it

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Is your sub dual voice coil? I wired my sub 2ohm once but the amp didnt like it. sounded good till not very loud then it would stop if I turned it up.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
could be your amp as well if it was your coil he would of smelt it
Amps don't cause a scratching sound.

Sealed boxes can hold burnt smell in.

Sometimes the coil just melts the glue and comes apart which causes scratching but no burnt smell.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
would recommend checking your grounds. Had some probelms like that before
then unplug your subs and push them down a bit but making sure you push down level and see if it grinds like other people have said. then if all fails try them in a makes car with their setup and their amp but your subs

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
the sub is a dual 1 ohm sub, its been wired to 2 ohm, and the amp is a 2ohm amp ? sub is fairly new, still really firm when i push it in, doesnt make any scratching noises... also sounds like it makes a pop noise like its clipping just before it stops working ? its really weird and cant figure it out, maybe its wired wrong but im not too sure what else it could be