Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub installation

N

navyboy85

I drive a VT Calais, I have just bought a sub and am about to buy an amp. Is it able to be installed while keeping the original speakers? Do you need the amp or is the head unit powerful enough to run the sub as well? :confused: :b:

Last edited by a moderator:

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Did the calais come out with a standard subby?
If not you will need an amp to power it, but you don't need to change your standard speakers.

I changed my standard head unit for a 52w by 4 unit and with just that the standard speakers were twice as loud and sounded heaps better, but I then added the subby and amp and she now sounds good.

N

navyboy85

all the speakers, are the two in the front doors, two in the back doors, and two on the rear shelf.
Is the head unit interchangable and is the stacker still able to be used with the new head unit?
If the original head unit is kept, is an amp able to be run straight from it?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
The VT calais did come out with subwoofers, situated in the parcel shelf, also a small amp. I would definately recommend purchasing a better amp though.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
My stacker and head unit are both aftermarket, if you have the original head unit with stacker I would leave it there and just put in a bigger subby and amp.

N

navyboy85

thanks heaps for the help, do you guys know anything about installation, if not can you give any recommendations... :wave:

C

clinker1212

A few questions:

Are you going to make it a free air sub or are you going to enclose it?
Did the sub come with an enclosure? I reccomend a ported enclosure.
What are the specs on the sub? (Ohm, RMS Watts, size etc) you need these specs to purchase a suitable amp (preferably a mono).

There is a fair bit to it depending on where you are starting from.

tell us what you decide.