Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub making pulsing noise, no music?

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
hi guys
i have got a 600 watt sub and a 760 watt 4 channel amp i have had it wired and working for 2 odd years now and now i have gone to put it in anouther car its gone weird? I have got the ground on a seat bracket, all my RCA are good wire from the headunit to the amp and my power is fused close to the battery. Problem is i turn the headunit on and within a few seconds the sub will just start pulsing and going into repetative and random base before it turns the protect light on? Anybody tell whats wrong?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Try unplugging the rcas (with ignition off), make sure they aren't touching metal or each other and turn it back on. Is the noise there?
Get an RCA to headphone jack. Plug this into the amp connected to your phone iPod etc, does it do it now?

Check low pass is around 80hz, gain is under half and bassboost is off too. Otherwise chances are your amp is delivering frequencies above what the sub can handle or clipping. Either way it's not good for the sub (or amp).

On a side note how do you have it wired up? Is the sub dual voice coil? If so are the coils in phase? Are you dropping below the minimum impedance for the amp? If you tell me what the amp and sub are I might be able to help with wiring.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Try unplugging the rcas (with ignition off)

Why does the ignition have to be off?

Anyway, it sounds like you've wired something wrong. I'm tipping it's to do with the voice coils on the sub not being wired properly and the amp not liking the impedance. As said, post up the exact specs of the whole system and we might be able to point you in the right direction ;)

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you unplug them or plug them in with the headunit on. It can blow the fuseable link in some headunits and will lead to terrible whining.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
If you unplug them or plug them in with the headunit on. It can blow the fuseable link in some headunits and will lead to terrible whining.

Never knew that. I always unplug/plug them with the system on when tuning and have never had a problem.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Never knew that. I always unplug/plug them with the system on when tuning and have never had a problem.

Pioneers are chronic for doing it. Others do too. Better safe than sorry.

To the op, the more I think about it I think that the subs wired incorrectly

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
the sub is unknown its a 600watt slimline audioline but other specs unknown
amp is a jensen 760watt 4 channel 75watt per channel

sub is wired as normal
power from battery to amp (fuse is fine)
the blue wire is connected and plugged into the amp( sorry forgot the name of the wire)
RCA cables connected and all good( only thing i havent checked was the ipod jack to them)
ground is grounded

+ from sub to + to amp
- from sub to - to amp ( these are bridged )

i have checked with a multimeter
ground is dead
power is about 11.75volts
headunit is about 11.65volts
+/- from amp are making strange volt changes dipping up and down
so i am thinking it maybe something wrong there ?

any help would be great
thanks guys

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
+ to channel 1. - to channel 2
I had it this way in my commodore and it was ok
Says above the wire ports bridgeable with arrows between them