Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub problems - was thumpin hard, now thumpin soft

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
i think i've blown my sub or amp people!! heres a quick run down on what happened..

i installed everything, head deck, amp wiring, amp sub and 6 inch components in the front one sunday. towards the end of the day (night) i finally got around to putting the sub and amp in which i figured was as simple as hookin up the wires and your off. i didnt get around to mounting it as i was tired as and wanted to go to bed. anyway i hooked it up, ground first as usual and the thing was thumpin. i was really happy with it, i decided i'll mount it the next day. i didnt drive to work the next day, i got picked up so the amp didnt get thrown around or anything it just sat in the car in my driveway.

when i got home i went to mount the amp, i tested it first it still sounded great, so i unplugged the amp and sub, first mounted the sub to the backwall then mounted the amp on top of it (i know its not good for the amp but its a cheap amp so i dont care, plus it looks good) i believe at this stage i was rushing a bit. anyway i had everything mounted, hooked it all up to test and there was no bass!!! well there was, i could hear the subwoofer making noise but there is definatly something wrong, i checked all my connections, ground was on a nice sanded spot under my parcel shelf, 12v not near any other cables running up to the boot, every termination is nice and clean and clearly has a good connection. i cant seem to figure out whats causing this, it still makes bass but not alot of it, the protection light on the amp is not on and the fuse is fine. i really am stumped, i have a feeling its one of my connections somewhere as it sounds like its just not getting enough power. maybe something behind the head deck? i dont know i checked them all and they seem fine, any help will be MUCH appreciated, thanks!! :bow:

ascension24

Reaction score
Check the gains and filters on your amp, maybe you chanegd them by accident. Having these set incorrectly will cause the problems you described.

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
possibly the phase of the sub is wrong.
probably not but...

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
theres only 2 adjustments knobs per channel on the amp, ones in dB the others in khz, i played aroudn with them to no avail :( i'll try and swap phasing now

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
i checked the phasing, its ok :( i was hoping it'd be wrong, i tried swapping anyway to no avail

benno_

VT - ESSSSS PACK
Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VT - S PACK, 5 SPEED
maybe cracked the sub box caz that happend to me and i split the sub box
Did u drill the amp on if so u might of done that!!!!

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
ok i would say that you have either plugged your rcas around the wrong way or you havent plugged them in correctly. The other thing that it could possibly be is the wiring from the sub to the amp... Just double check it. I dont think it would be a cracked sub box cause that wouldnt cause it to loose ALOT of bass. That would simply make the bass sound bad and make weird noises etc etc etc

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
ilovemyvx said:
i think i've blown my sub or amp people!! heres a quick run down on what happened..

i installed everything, head deck, amp wiring, amp sub and 6 inch components in the front one sunday. towards the end of the day (night) i finally got around to putting the sub and amp in which i figured was as simple as hookin up the wires and your off. i didnt get around to mounting it as i was tired as and wanted to go to bed. anyway i hooked it up, ground first as usual and the thing was thumpin. i was really happy with it, i decided i'll mount it the next day. i didnt drive to work the next day, i got picked up so the amp didnt get thrown around or anything it just sat in the car in my driveway.

when i got home i went to mount the amp, i tested it first it still sounded great, so i unplugged the amp and sub, first mounted the sub to the backwall then mounted the amp on top of it (i know its not good for the amp but its a cheap amp so i dont care, plus it looks good) i believe at this stage i was rushing a bit. anyway i had everything mounted, hooked it all up to test and there was no bass!!! well there was, i could hear the subwoofer making noise but there is definatly something wrong, i checked all my connections, ground was on a nice sanded spot under my parcel shelf, 12v not near any other cables running up to the boot, every termination is nice and clean and clearly has a good connection. i cant seem to figure out whats causing this, it still makes bass but not alot of it, the protection light on the amp is not on and the fuse is fine. i really am stumped, i have a feeling its one of my connections somewhere as it sounds like its just not getting enough power. maybe something behind the head deck? i dont know i checked them all and they seem fine, any help will be MUCH appreciated, thanks!! :bow:

Hey there VX, Did u check your LPF(Low Pass Filter) switch and make sure thats on? u may have accidentally switched the filter to HPF (High Pass Filter) which would make your sub sound non existent.....What brand of amp is it? Let me know if this helps...cheers

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t:[/QUOTE]