Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subframe swapping (k frame)

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
I have a vt senator 5l that i have to replace the subframe on, now i have a few qeustions....

Im going to do it on axle stands as i dont have access to a hoist anymore, for removal im going to have to suspend engine over strut towers, undo engine mounts. bottom arms from hub end, steering arms.

Qeustion is, can i get away with leaving the rack still plumbed up and some how tieing it toward the back of the car out of the way the drop subframe, or do i need to completely remove it to pull the frame out?

Cheers in advance,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
pretty sure it could hang out of the way but if it was me i just wouldnt be slack and undo the 3 extra nuts and replace the fluid after.

if you take it right off dont forget to have the steering wheel straight when ya put it back together.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
That was the reason i wanted to know if it could stay there as i have never done the steering rack on a vt before.(re fitting)
But everything else seems easy to do, was just worried about that rack and re alighning it properly

Reaction score
Members Ride
im sure there would be enough movement just to hang it out the way just be really carefull that you dont damage the hard lines

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Ok is there anything else under there you recoment i change/ do while i have athe frame out? ie engine mounts etc?

Reaction score
Members Ride
i would do engine mounts, front strut to chassis and sway bay D bushs as a min

depends how crazy you want to go but you could also do the swaybar link pins, inner and outer control arm bushs, tie rod ends and ball joints. definatly check all these. its cheaper to buy a front encancment kit from nolathane if you want to do it all.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Yea front sway ar link pins, mounts, castor rod bushes are all done. So I may just look at the engine mount bushes if everything looks ok. This weekends job. Hope the rain stops!

lsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7L M6
cable tire the steering wheel to the mirror so steering colum dosnt spin freely while u have the rack off or ull #### ur clock spring n get an air bag like on the dash

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
cable tire the steering wheel to the mirror so steering colum dosnt spin freely while u have the rack off or ull #### ur clock spring n get an air bag like on the dash

Awesome thanks for that tip will do!