Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subs in wagon

statesman_wagon89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Statesman Wagon( written off) VN calias 5 speed
Which is the best way to have a 12 inch sub facing in a wagon.
I notice every one is putting them in the rear area but they put them facing towards the tailgate, wouldn't it sound better to face them towards the front?

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
depends, this has always been a weird subject for me. Example, when i was running a single 12in rockford P2 it sounded better facing towards the front of the car, it was a more aggressive bass. BUT my twin Fusion 12's sound better facing out, they sound dirty facing towards the front. But it could be different in a wagon, if i had a wagon i'd be puttin it against the back seat and facing towards the boot OR having it sideways, like pointing to the right hand side of the car .... yeh id do that actully lol :)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yeh, try it yourself and see what you think sounds best. mine are facing the tailgate, coz if it was facing the front you wouldnt see them very well unless u look from inside

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
hakhawk said:
yeh, try it yourself and see what you think sounds best. mine are facing the tailgate, coz if it was facing the front you wouldnt see them very well unless u look from inside

wouldnt see them? who cares?! i dont know about u guys but i dont have subs so ppl can see them :p

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
i thought facing them towards the tailgate was technically the correct way? the length of a soundwave from a sub was long or "low" enough so that by the time it had left the sub bounced off the back of the car and hit the passengers it was at its highest or "most powerful" point? correct me if im wrong but that is what i belive right now

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
BigDaz said:
wouldnt see them? who cares?! i dont know about u guys but i dont have subs so ppl can see them :p
and hence why i dont want a wagon!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i made mine for show, its just not finished yet. so u open tailgate and see the install.

statesman_wagon89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Statesman Wagon( written off) VN calias 5 speed
thanks guys, thats helps heaps, i think i'll face them towards the tailgate
looks better that way

D

Driftwagon

I have mine facing the tailgate and they sound better this way, but it is all about experimenting with there position, where the ports are etc, trial and error is the best way but use various tracks to test cause it might bet more boom facing forward, but less shake rattle and roll :)