Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subs in wagon

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I put mine facing the back seat about 2 inches away from it. Keeps the backseat passengers happy :D It prob isnt the best way to do it but i didnt want people to see it from the outside as the sub-box is enclosed in another box which holds all the audio gear in the back :thumbsup:

as seen in the avatar ^^

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
facing it to the back generally makes it louder, something to do with wavelengths and path differences or something

TheJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 3.8
Facing them to the rear creates a pressure wave going backwards that pulls more base and sound clarity from your front speakers. Otherwise you just end up sitting in the middle of a cross fire of speakers firing sound in all directions, not so bad in a large concert hall but very bad in small spaces with hard and soft objects eg glass and seats. The speakers end up working against each other - the cones pump sound toward each other and kind of create a cancelled out wave of pressure.

Imagine your at a concert and the band in front of you and singer on stage raised up in front of you. This is the ideal enviroment you are trying to re-create in your car as best as possible.

Mounting small tweeters in the roof above the windscreen or dash (with independant controlled volume level control) will enable you to re-create this stage more accuratly than having the singers voice coming from below your elbows somewhere.

Considering this stage effect, you wouldn't have the band and singer on stage in front while the base player and drum kit are set up behind you pumping sound into the back of your ears. This creates phase shifts in sound pressure waves and unwanted bounce back etc. in other words crap sound with wandering base that seems to pump out a muddy slow response instead of a smooth sharp punch correctly in time with the song.

Having all the sound going in the same direction as much as possible, I believe is the simplest way to explain the best envirometn for your ears to hear the song the way it was intended the day of recording.

I've been building car stereo systems for over 15 years, its been a hobby that I became slightly obsessed with

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Depends on lots of variables, including the local air temp and pressure (alters the speed of sound). The idea is to get all the sounds from the different speakers to arrive at the listening position at the same time and in phase, as explained above. Because of the length of the wavelenth of low frequencies sometimes it is necessary to increase the path length. So if you want the best sound then you should move it around to find the best spot. Practical considerations will obviously come into it as well. Most wagons i have seen have them facing back. My sedan if far better facing back as well.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
Subs or a sub mounted in the tailgate would be cool, just have to be careful not to slam it shut...

TheJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 3.8
Um.....why not?

azzfox said:
not possible
You say not possible. Why not?
I've been given a challenge now.......
I'll be back on here in a few months with pics:yeah:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
TheJack said:
You say not possible. Why not?
I've been given a challenge now.......
I'll be back on here in a few months with pics:yeah:
1. Is the tailgate thick enough for one/two?
2. Is it hollow? If so it needs to be the exact desired volume (space) and sealed perfectly.
3. HAVE FUN :p