Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subwoofer help

jayozi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7
Ive got

Kenwood deck

Alpine SPR-17s Front

Alpine SPR-60 Rear

PIONEER GM-D8604 amp to speakers

And im looking for a sub to add , would prefer Active sub with good deep loud bass for under $300

Thanks for any advice

jayozi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7
The pick so far is from ebay EDGE EDB12A 12” 300RMS for just over $200 but not sure if its enough ? 600rms for just under $300

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Whatever you do, don't buy a Fusion active sub. They use 18 guage wire between the amp and sub. I had one for a while, the gains were set at zero and still cooked the sub and took 2 months for RMA.

My advice is to get a kicker kick pack. They're on sale for $250 and go good for the price.

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Also, make sure with the Kicker Kick Pack to tune the amp/sub at 50HZ. They can clip a little early

jayozi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7
Thanks mate this is what i ended up with.

Kenwood deck

Alpine SPR-17s Front

Alpine SPR-60 Rear

PIONEER GM-D8604 amp to speakers

PIONEER GM-D8604 amp to Twin pioneer Subs

Does this system look ok , will all this be alright running of the battery , i know very little about audio as u might notice lol

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
That's a nice amp. Should be good enough to handle the subs. I assume you're going to run 2 12" in the boot.

Run the highest quality cabling you can get your hands on for power and ground, with the highest gauge the amp will take in the fittings. also use a wire tool to strip the paint off and expose the metal on your ground. Use a washer if you're worried about rust.

Also, see if you can run the amp turn on (+12v) from 1 amp to the other. Just means less fiddling around with wires from the front of your car. See if you can also run RCA out as well for the same reason from 1 amp to the other.

As for power, you should be OK however, if you leave your car parked with the motor off and run your stereo, say hello to a flat battery. Use an OBD2 to check your charging voltage with both amps on at full tilt, and your car running. Anything over 14v and you'll be fine. Less than that you will want a bigger alternator. The battery is only used to fire up the motor, after which the alternator takes over.

jayozi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7
Thanks for ur help mate i will print off what u have said and take it with me when i get it installed :) cos as far as cables go i wouldnt know one from an other.