Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subwoofer

wooly72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Series 2
ok this is probably a really stupid question. But does a subwoofer have to be a box? I dont want to waste room in my VP if it doesnt need to have a subwoofer box. I put my surfboards through the middle where the box would go.
Thanks

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
yes and no lol, it depends on the sub, you can buy subs that r either free air or for sealed/ ported enclosures. You will get more sounds outta the sealed/ ported type obviously. But having had a couple of pioneer 10" free air subs I can say whilst not as good as our sealed subs they are more than adequate to get the bass pumping. Just make sure they are indeed free air subs and u will be fine ;) they are sold where ever u would buy other subs and at the same price. ;)

blue alliance

Reaction score
Website
www.cruisingmackay.com
Members Ride
98 VT S pack Supercharged/ 77 Datsun 260z Rb20det
i think that the AU XR8s came with an 8" sub in the parcel shelf. Seems pretty effective.

wooly72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Series 2
thanks for the advice.
Julie, where would you suggest the best place to get the free air/sealed subwoofer from? not looking for something expensive, more budget.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Just shop around at your local car audio places, ebay can be good for bargains, especially US ebay. If you wanted to be even more budget conscious I'm sure you could find some stock holden/ford subs that people have upgraded and no longer want, our calais came out stock with subs in parcel shelf as did a few other models so I'm sure there'd be some floating around.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
wooly72 said:
ok this is probably a really stupid question. But does a subwoofer have to be a box?
I know you mean does it have to be in a sealed enclosure, but on the side note of what that above quote on it's own tends to mean. The shape of your subwoofer enclosure doesn't have to be a box shape. The whole floor in my wifes echo is the enclosure.

I think though Pioneer make a decent set of free air woofers.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Doesn't have to be a specific shape, but it should be around the same volume that the subs specs want. So many litre box means you get optimal performance.. a 10" sub in a correctly dimensioned box would sound better then a 12 sitting in a poor box.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
The correct size is very important, dont skimp on the subs specs.