Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden increase fuel consumption V6

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
remember the gen 3 rattle saga????
well my VY, ever since new, i could hear a rattle in the engine coming from the lower half of the engine.
i think that since the engines are being exported to the desert countries, they are making the engines looser so they can cope with the heat (due to expansion and contraction). this in turn makes the engine prone to inefficiency, thus creating higher fuel consumption and lower power output.
the best experience with the 3.8L imo was in the VT. smooth torquey, quiet and fuel efficient under normal driving conditions.
since a rebuild is out of the question, all i can suggest is a piggyback computer and/or light supercharging (with a dyno tune), maybe a silent drive charger with no more than 4psi, thus not requiring an intercooler.

the biggest difference from vt to vy engines is the exhaust manifold. Im pretty sure the vt had 3 into 2 pipes where as vy has 3 into 1 before joining up at the firewall....correct me if im wrong.

lol. why would you put a charger on when he is talking about having high fuel economy? did u read the post?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
lol. why would you put a charger on when he is talking about having high fuel economy? did u read the post?

because all motors today are built with 'sloppy' tolerances to allow for hotter temperatures in export countries so to get more power from a 'sloppy' engine just charge it, didnt you read sheesh lol:p

yeeros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 3.8
ive been warming to light charging over the years since every article i have read about the issue claims you can improve economy in some circumstances. i can see how the 3.8's can benefit from it because you tend to plant the foot (especially uphill) to get the car moving. if there was more torque, the less throttle you would need to apply.
i must make another comment, over time thinking about how the engine performance feels poor, i feel that since the top end has improved in the ecotec line, the engines seem to have a power rush and it feels very strong especially compared to the lazy low-mid range. if you dont check your speed and go by instincts, it feels slow.....
but having driven from syd to melb and back (1800kms), on the highway with a/c on, it was very gutless, needing to shift back on minor rises just to keep up. once only it even went into 2nd on an incline, that i felt 3rd would have been appropriate, so it sort of forced me to plant the foot down after the shift so it wouldnt jump back and forth....
ive always read in magazines that the vy was torquey compared to vz, but when looking at the dyno figures (vy brochure), it is really the other way round.....
(vy 270Nm @ 1500rpm lol where is it???)
Ecotec 152kW at 5600rpm 305Nm at 3600rpm.
Alloytec 175kW at 6000rpm 320Nm at 2800rpm.
Alloytec 190kW at 6500rpm 340Nm at 3200rpm.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
from what i know, the gen3 for example was built in canada, ie: cold climate, so all gen3's have a rattle...so to remedy this, they brought the gen 4 from mexico, with a similar climate to us...
I have stuck my head next to other vy's and they rattle too. Does the vx rattle seeing that its the same engine? my original vh bottom end is still quieter than the VY....

The GenIII was initially built in Mexico and then it started getting built in Canada. Don't worry about where it's built, GM only varies one thing....profit margin. The tolerances of the engine specs are set in concrete by the GM engineers (Gods) at the concept/ implementation of the engine. After that GMs' goal is to try to do it as cost effectively as possible :bang:

yeeros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 3.8
for sure chargedvx6. it kinda gives me the skid marks (non automotive...lol) when you read that one car that gets tested is lame, then the other is ok, and the other one is a pearler!!! thank god for mass production... imagine if they made only afew examples they would all be bad, but if you make heaps, one of em is bound to come good!!!!.........lol