Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suggestions Please.. Paint VX Acclaim

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Had my Wagon just over 4 years and would love to be somewhat proud in how it looked, and went, for that matter..

What would be the best way to repair this paint crazing, and what options have I got as regards to costs.

I want to get these little dents taken out, like on the back door, and front RH Fender. Crazing is on the rear LH side. Ideas and suggestions please.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Best way to fix it (only) is going to be to sand back all the damaged clearcoat and base and then respray it. Adjoining panels will need to also be blended aswell as the damage to them fixed.

Probably budget for a price starting at $5k and be ready for it to rise.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Get that mobile dent removal mob to come out and give an estimate.

When they are there with their tools, you just say something like "geez I really hoped it would be less than half that...:D and they will knock off that extra 20% they automatically slap on because people keep saying 'above'.

The crazed clear coat is going to be a cut and polish job, then remove polish and rattle can it with clear auto grade. Becareful Supercheap doesn't sell you clear spray that is not suitable for outdoor use. It is very surprising that they continue to sell NON auto spray paint.

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Thanks for the tips. I don't have much to lose by going with the above advice.. Gotta say though, I had to wrap my head around this for awhile... "...doesn't sell you clear spray that is not suitable for outdoor use." o_O

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Actually. You'e probably said a word that will save you money. Get the car wrapped with vinyl. Fix the dents and then have it wrapped. Will save it looking **** if you take an easy route with the correction and will cost a third of the price overall likely.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Some advice about the stages of paint renovation, particularly clear coat.

Do Not cut and polish before repainting. The new paint needs a flat, dull surface to adhere properly. You need to wet rub the clear with fine grades of wet and dry starting with about 800 grade and moving to 1000 to get rid of crazing and scratches. Be slow and careful because the clear is very thin and it's easy to cut through the Base coat to leave you with patches of differing shades of base coat.

Depending in the size of the damaged area, I would be looking at repainting both base and clear coats but colour matching will be a problem. That's why we have professionals.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I think using the cut back part of the cut and polish kit, would be more likely to remove the crazed clear coat, than being careful with fine paper, but YES you do have to remove any traces of polish before attempting to rattle can clear coat spray.

If your DIY efforts look really crap, then you will be more encouraged to get it fixed by a professional.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Cutting compound won't leave the surface as flat and paint-ready as wet rubbing and completely removing every trace of it can be irksome.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Am kind of keen to give the rattle can clear a go myself, so would be interested to see if its a good option.
Some clear coat is peeling so could be a cheaper option seeing the vehicle isn't really worth an expensive fix.