Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suggestions Please.. Paint VX Acclaim

Discussion in 'Spray Painting and Panel Beating' started by Yande, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Yande

Yande New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
    Had my Wagon just over 4 years and would love to be somewhat proud in how it looked, and went, for that matter..

What would be the best way to repair this paint crazing, and what options have I got as regards to costs.

I want to get these little dents taken out, like on the back door, and front RH Fender. Crazing is on the rear LH side. Ideas and suggestions please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Road Boss

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Best way to fix it (only) is going to be to sand back all the damaged clearcoat and base and then respray it. Adjoining panels will need to also be blended aswell as the damage to them fixed.

Probably budget for a price starting at $5k and be ready for it to rise.

3. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Get that mobile dent removal mob to come out and give an estimate.

When they are there with their tools, you just say something like "geez I really hoped it would be less than half that...:D and they will knock off that extra 20% they automatically slap on because people keep saying 'above'.

The crazed clear coat is going to be a cut and polish job, then remove polish and rattle can it with clear auto grade. Becareful Supercheap doesn't sell you clear spray that is not suitable for outdoor use. It is very surprising that they continue to sell NON auto spray paint.

4. Yande

Yande New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
    Thanks for the tips. I don't have much to lose by going with the above advice.. Gotta say though, I had to wrap my head around this for awhile... "...doesn't sell you clear spray that is not suitable for outdoor use." o_O

5. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Road Boss

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Actually. You'e probably said a word that will save you money. Get the car wrapped with vinyl. Fix the dents and then have it wrapped. Will save it looking **** if you take an easy route with the correction and will cost a third of the price overall likely.

6. Yande

Yande New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
  7. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Some advice about the stages of paint renovation, particularly clear coat.

Do Not cut and polish before repainting. The new paint needs a flat, dull surface to adhere properly. You need to wet rub the clear with fine grades of wet and dry starting with about 800 grade and moving to 1000 to get rid of crazing and scratches. Be slow and careful because the clear is very thin and it's easy to cut through the Base coat to leave you with patches of differing shades of base coat.

Depending in the size of the damaged area, I would be looking at repainting both base and clear coats but colour matching will be a problem. That's why we have professionals.

Commo Baba likes this.
  8. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    I think using the cut back part of the cut and polish kit, would be more likely to remove the crazed clear coat, than being careful with fine paper, but YES you do have to remove any traces of polish before attempting to rattle can clear coat spray.

If your DIY efforts look really crap, then you will be more encouraged to get it fixed by a professional.

9. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Cutting compound won't leave the surface as flat and paint-ready as wet rubbing and completely removing every trace of it can be irksome.

10. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Am kind of keen to give the rattle can clear a go myself, so would be interested to see if its a good option.
    Some clear coat is peeling so could be a cheaper option seeing the vehicle isn't really worth an expensive fix.

VT&VX likes this.
  11. Sean880

Sean880 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
    The left side of the car - just what can be seen in the image - is a mess. At least the 2 doors and the rear quarter panel need to be completely repainted professionally if you wanted the car to look half decent. The left rear door also has a deep scratch and most of the paint chipped off the edge of that door. Most of the paint has even peeled off the black rear door window frame. Then there is everything else on the car.

There is lot of work. It's not a DYI job for an amateur to fix unless you are an experienced DYI auto painter and the ability to have the car parked up while you work on it plus the spray equipment, protective gear, and workshop to do the repainting. That is if you want the end result to look acceptable and not some bogged home handyman effort.

The car is worth around 1500 - 2200 if you could find a buyer. A professional repaint and all the other bits and pieces will set you back thousands - certainly more than the current market value of the car and you wont get back what you can spend on this car. You will be just throwing good cash away on that car. Vinyl wrapping the car is also expensive and would require all dents to be removed and other prep work. . This will also cost you more that the value of the car. But go get some quotes and verify for yourself.

The best option financially if you want a decent looking car with good factory paint and no scratches, dents and peeling paint is to trade it in (or try selling it privately) to buy a better car.

Calaber, Commo Baba and losh1971 like this.
  12. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Have to agree with Sean. Also if the clear coat has lifted the base coats can be damaged as the clear is not only to give it shine it protects the metallic.

13. Yande

Yande New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
    Thanks all for the very polite replies. Sort of came to that conclusion these past days. Cars just not worth putting much money into. It's a work horse, the motor is comparitively sound, (recon. head 30,000ks) and has been serviced well. Over the next year or so, I'll do some study for a replacement, something with a better paint job, at least.

14. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Commo Baba likes this.
  15. Commo Baba

Commo Baba Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim Wagon.
    Shame about the 'wear ' if it's still going strong.

The wagons can tend to get some uncaring family 'use'.

Specifically got my dark blue one with good paint even though had to tidy a few details from the previous family owners.