Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

suggestions to make my engine bay cleaner and neater

ratzy

It's Sedan Time
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec on senator 18's
yeah man.... painting it will do a heap.... i will post some pics of mine up tmoz i cant find them on this computer

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
For starters:

1) clean the hell out of that overflow bottle, or get a new one
2) move the power steering reservoir and clean it up
3) aim for all your hoses and piping to be one colour. I suggest flat black. Get some liquid gel tyre shine, and attack your black hoses. (radiator, fuel, etc)
4) take that fuse box lid off the battery and put it back on :p
5) if you want to paint something in there black (like the manifold), then make everything the same shade of black. matt black sanded really well, works MUCH better than gloss black. Paint the supercharger, repaint the manifold, your engine crane hoist point, and if you can, take apart the alternator and paint that carefully.
6) try and make your hoses follow the lines of the engine, and emphasise them. eg: your plumb-back hose. Perhaps have it follow the line of the rad hose to the front of the car, then turn at a right angle (get a neck for it) and run across the front of the car to the airbox. Straight lines look neat.
7) line things up. Your BOV, get that in line with something. Pressure gauge and t-pipe vac hoses, get them lined up and cable tied to things. That wiring at the back of the engine bay? Tuck it back up into its factory clasps.
8) remove that goddamn "danger" sticker from the fan shroud.
9) where possible, cover your coloured wires with large black ribbed covers, and combine it with factory wires
10) make sure those silicone hose bends are black next time I see them
11) your metal aircon hose adapter running into the firewall. That needs to be black.
12) get that factory air baffle back infront of the fan shroud, you can see the radiator core from the top and that's ugly.
13) hope for the best, V6 engine bays are UGLY!

:D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
For starters:

5) if you want to paint something in there black (like the manifold), then make everything the same shade of black. matt black sanded really well, works MUCH better than gloss black.
:D

There's a name for that Morton, it's called Satin black :) that's what they paint old school motorbike engines with, sexy paint it is too and no need for sanding :)

mervex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
tidy engine

keep the ^%&^*& bonnet shut.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
haha jeez morton its gunna be one emo engine bay! black black black... got any blacker ? :p

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
stop being so conformist. life as an engine is pain

you dont want an emo car. it will always be cutting open its hoses and dripping oil everywhere

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
I know ill cope **** from Ghost, but personally i like those braided hose sleaves they make the bay look tidy and also draw your eye to them also allows you to hide some wiring in the same type of sleave..