Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Summernats is little more than a festival for fools

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
This article made my blood boil...:ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

MOTORSPORT takes in everything from kids racing small bikes at Yarragundry Park to F1 at Monaco.

It definitely does not include the weird, and more often than not crude, world of Summernats in Canberra.

The Notebook twice endured this horrendous event last weekend, albeit from a distance.

The simple fact is that Summernats involves cars, but should never be confused with motorsport.

Summernats is little more than a festival for fools with more money for petrol and tyres then sense.

It is also completely inconceivable, and irrational, that 103,000 people attended this event - and that it has lasted for 27 editions.
See your ad here

Honestly, the vast majority of those 103K should take a long, hard look at their lives.

When someone can actually enjoy watching cars burn rubber for no possible reason or take part in other distasteful and downright moronic endeavours, there is something really, really wrong.

Testing times for Riverina sport | The Daily Advertiser

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
One person's opinion, that's all. It's a bit like a local newspaper column over here by a guy called Billy Kerr. Full of opinions and self ingratiating ramblings.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, if you red through that "journalist" other articles you will see this is his style. Provocative articles that are designed to cause a reaction or outrage and thus give him attention.

Wouldn't give him the time of day.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I just clicked and it's still there....

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I actually think I have to agree with the article.

When someone can actually enjoy watching cars burn rubber for no possible reason - Yes
take part in other distasteful and downright moronic endeavours - Yes, Where do I sign up ?
The simple fact is that Summernats involves cars, but should never be confused with motorsport - I don't remember anybody saying it was 'motorsport', I think it's been called a 'motor show'
Summernats is little more than a festival for fools with more money for petrol and tyres then sense - Correct. Not seeing the issue though.

If you don't appreciate/like what Summernats is about then simple don't go. It's well known what summernats is about, and this moron still seems surprised.

He appeared to miss out the hours spent on vehicles for such events as show n shine, I guess he is either deaf or missed out on the sound off because surely the volume could have made an appearance in this.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
id never go myself but can totally understand why it draws such a crowd, its an aussie Icon... but yeah id TOTALLY never go. fk putting my car through that kind of punishment, surrounded by drunk sunburned bogans :p

(i donned my flamesuit before typing this message, have fun throwing poo at me)

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
Summernats is a car festival. It's not Motorsport. It may incorporate some aspects of Motorsport, but is not purely Motorsport.

I have been Didn't like it. Won't go again. Pretty simple