Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SuperCharge Battery in VK - One of those "DOH" moments

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
don't buy any battery from supershit they will wait until the rep tests the battery before they honor the warranty they tried charging a battery for 3 days before they admitted it was rooted. Very helpful when you need the car.
I don't know what drugs ole mate above is on

the factory battery VK commodores came with was 450cca

I bought a Century through supershit 5 or 6 years ago....The first one crapped itself after 3 months...Went there, they tested it on the spot on a Saturday and gave me a replacement there and then, with the warranty starting from the date of the replacement

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I am running a 720CCA Century battery in the boot of my VC....It set me back $200.....

The dippies at supershits tried to begin with say they wouldn't warrant the battery when I priced it up, as the CCA was above the factory rating.

When I told them it's over which is fine...It only if it is under the warranty will be voided, they soon shut their traps....

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Anyone can buy from our local warehouse. I paid about $120 for a battery to suit my VR. I nearly did buy another SC but started hearing neg reliability issues so opted for a Delco.
Sounds like you're in a fortunate situation when it comes to batteries. That is dirt cheap for a good quality brand. And smart move to avoid the SuperCharge. As per the whole theme of the original post, wish I had just not been so impulsive - there is no way I would have touched it if I'd first seen all the one star reviews in Product Review. In all the years of cars, have owned at least 13, have never had a battery fail before it's well due time; always at least 8 years old, often longer. `

However the story is still pending, as I took it into Battery World for an independent check and they still have it, doing a discharge/charge cycle full load test with written report, all for only $20.

Initial test on the brand new 550CCA SuperCharge was inconclusive, with it showing CCA readings of 145, 630, 720, 215. And that's also with the fellow (who was very helpful) going back in to get another hand-held tester to compare readings. As previously mentioned, the condition indicator is more often white and only occasionally green and the other day showed some red which might support those erratic readings. I have to do some more research on these indicators, maybe the indicator itself is faulty. I'm not even sure how they work, as they are not actually a light, as they don't glow in the dark, they need some ambient light in order to be viewed. Are they connected in parallel to the whole set of cells or just represent one cell...? Will do some more reading.

They also suggested there may be a drain in my elec wiring, as Skylarking above mentioned, so that's another thing to try and eliminate. May have to get an auto elec to do some tests.

Anyway, appreciate all the interest and experiences put forward in this thread. Looks like there's a page 3 now, so will have a look at that.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I put a Bosch 70Ah 770 CCA with 36 month warranty in my VE in November last year after what appeared to be the factory AC Delco battery (55Ah 460 CCA) cacked itself after 11 years.

Cost between $250 & $300.....can't remember the exact amount.
That's a damn good run from the Delco! And good value if the replacement lasts longer than 5 years.

Some guy reckons, either here or another forum, that he replaces the batteries in his two work vehicles every 3 years, whatever condition they are in. IMO, that seems a bit asking for trouble. As these days, the replacement may actually be worse than the one being pulled, which may still have another 3 - 4 years good service in it. It's going on the assumption that all batteries he uses will be exactly the same in performance and lifespan, but we know they certainly are not these days.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I am running a 720CCA Century battery in the boot of my VC....It set me back $200.....

The dippies at supershits tried to begin with say they wouldn't warrant the battery when I priced it up, as the CCA was above the factory rating.

When I told them it's over which is fine...It only if it is under the warranty will be voided, they soon shut their traps....
Mmm, not surprised. Super Cheeep (and Office Works for that matter) both use a lot of school kids in the staff and their knowledge, experience and care factor is often low. But good that they listened to you.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
Delco Delkor - very similar names - are they totally different companies? And AC Delco used to make many of the Holden genuine parts in the earlier days. I assume the batteries are one of their divisions. Like Autolite was to Ford.
Totally different companies.

Delkor are made in Korea owned by Clarios. Look them up and check the brands under them.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally different companies.

Delkor are made in Korea owned by Clarios. Look them up and check the brands under them.
Will do, ta for the info mate.