Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharge or LS swap?

mickybert

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3 ute, manual
im after any info or opinions on what would be the better option? my car is a vs s3 5l man with 140 000. i dont want a monster,just a bit of squirt. is it easy to get registered with the LS? would a low boost yella terra supercharger kit dramatically reduce the life of the engine? if anyone has done either, is their anything you would have liked to have known before you started? thank you for any info in advance.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If you haven't already, why not look at building a nice 355 stroker?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Whipple would be good fun on stocker bottom end.

Youtube Marks Workshop..he has a few whipple & vortech blown holden v8s on there.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Supercharger would be fine on your current engine so long as it's been tuned properly, those getrag 5 speed gearboxes aren't known for their strength although.... how much money are you willing to throw at it?

mickybert

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3 ute, manual
Supercharger would be fine on your current engine so long as it's been tuned properly, those getrag 5 speed gearboxes aren't known for their strength although.... how much money are you willing to throw at it?
like i said im not after a monster, ill have around 5k to 'invest' intitially. i was recommended grp a fuel rail and 650cc injectors. already has pacemaker extractors. ive also been recommended a crane 286 cam. i have no idea about camshaft.

mickybert

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3 ute, manual
like i said im not after a monster, ill have around 5k to 'invest' intitially. i was recommended grp a fuel rail and 650cc injectors. already has pacemaker extractors. ive also been recommended a crane 286 cam. i have no idea about camshaft.
*i am aware supercharging will be more than 5k

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I'm no camshaft expert but I doubt that a crane 286 would work very well with a supercharger it's more of an NA cam

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
M112 cam injectors is not that expensive, looks good alternative to rooting around with LS conversion for $ and outstanding performance profile - 304 rwkw @ 3400 rpm!!
IMG_1972.JPG

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
A supercharger is the most cost effective option (or a turbo). Even a side mount charger would do you well. You can find decent kits second hand for $2k, and spend $800-1000 on tuning and have around 250rwkw without intercooling.

The LS swap will cost you 8-10k. Does your car have the roller cam engine?