Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger Kit Choice???

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
Whats wrong with the SC14 kits from CRS with a 10PSI pulley for $2400, new injectors $250, memcal $150, LSD $300, CAI $200, rockers $500, exhaust $400 and your set for under $5000. Or if your serious about a L67, try this one looks in ok nick, bit pricey though. Its got everything ready to go, just get a smaller pulley for more uumph.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
You are totally wasting your money putting one of these units on your standard motor. Nonetheless there are plenty of people out there who will happily sell you one and take your money and run. They won't want to talk to you after you have blown or damaged your engine as a result of it running with their SC.

Ask them if they will give you a written guarantee that the unit will not push the engine beyond its design stress limits and thus damage the motor? I can tell you now that they won't give you any such guarantee because they know these motors are just not designed to take the stresses a supercharger applies to them. They will happily spin you a great line though that all will be ok with your motor but you will never get anything in writing. Then there is the issue of the transmission and drive train taking the stresses that will be applied.

I think GM know a lot more about their motors than these aftermarket supercharger sellers. If it was as easy as bolting on a supercharger to the existing motor then GM would have done that. However the V6 supercharged factory motors are different from the standard V6s and have been modified(including the internals) to take the additional stresses.

If you want more power either sell your car and get one with a factory supercharged V6 motor or buy one with a V8.

By the way, your insurance company might not want to insure the car if you stick an aftermarket SC on it. So if you want to press ahead with the SC modification make sure you talk to your insurance company first before you outlay any money.
If you make the modification and don't declare it to your insurers they have the right to deny any claim you make (regardless of it's nature) and they most likely will.

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
Damn this seems like a such a hard choice especially with so many different opinions. I like the fact that by putting a L67 it will have stronger internals and theres a guy on ebay selling crate VY L67's for $4700 i know its pricey but its brand new.

As for the supercharger kits it seems that everyone has different opinions on the type of boost the kits will give you. I know very little about the SC14 kits apart from the fact that it was a factory installed toyota supercharger. Does anyone have any links or details on the type of power output or anything about these superchargers?

I might have to leave this one for a while untill I can make a decision. Looks like ill be up for a few months of reading thread after thread.

By the way thanks again everyone, this has got to be the most helpful forum out there

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
I like the fact that by putting a L67 it will have stronger internals and theres a guy on ebay selling crate VY L67's for $4700 i know its pricey but its brand new.

oo i know, its tempting isnt it!!

As for the supercharger kits it seems that everyone has different opinions on the type of boost the kits will give you. I know very little about the SC14 kits apart from the fact that it was a factory installed toyota supercharger. Does anyone have any links or details on the type of power output or anything about these superchargers?

try Castlemain Rod Shop here, ive done a **** load of research into these charger and i cant seem to find a straight answer. I would say it had to be one of the most controversial chargers made and so many mixed opinions make it impossible to judge weather there ok or not.. Some say there great, some hate them. It seems to more like when you get them working properly they go fine.

Sean880, obviously you have a L67? Ive heard of quite a few people now running up to 12PSI on a stock engines quite a bit without a drama. What gives?

mookschank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Funnily enough I spoke to CRS the other day about SC14s. I asked for a spare s/c part and they said they don't bother with SC14s anymore as its getting harder to import them in. CRS could have been blowing me off though. They are quite an old unit so over time = scarcity. Plus an even bigger problem of lots kms on SC14s these days. You cannot buy replacement bearings or re-teflon coating the lobes is nigh on impossible for these things so a stuffed one is extremely hard to rebuild.......However they are from jap s/c cressida, soarers & others so they're damn old...they were made by Ogura, a websearch will pull the spec sheet on these, TX15 i think they are....

For my 2 cents on the engine, I wouldnt run my engine s/c without having the internals suited to s/c operation.....Just buy a s/c engine complete and everythings done for you....

My factory s/c engine i pulled apart had forged low comp ceramic coated pistons for a start...

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
Funnily enough I spoke to CRS the other day about SC14s. I asked for a spare s/c part and they said they don't bother with SC14s anymore as its getting harder to import them in. CRS could have been blowing me off though. They are quite an old unit so over time = scarcity. Plus an even bigger problem of lots kms on SC14s these days. You cannot buy replacement bearings or re-teflon coating the lobes is nigh on impossible for these things so a stuffed one is extremely hard to rebuild.......However they are from jap s/c cressida, soarers & others so they're damn old...they were made by Ogura, a websearch will pull the spec sheet on these, TX15 i think they are....

For my 2 cents on the engine, I wouldnt run my engine s/c without having the internals suited to s/c operation.....Just buy a s/c engine complete and everythings done for you....

My factory s/c engine i pulled apart had forged low comp ceramic coated pistons for a start...

Just out of curiosity, what S/C do they use now for there kits?

mookschank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Sorry dont know what CRS currently offers. Their website still shows SC14 kits though...

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Been trying to choose a good supercharger for my Ecotec VS.

Looking between these 2 kits:
CAPA : Supercharger Kits - $5000 and 215kws
Raptor Superchargers - $5000 (Pro Street) and 235-275kws

What are the pros and cons of each systems because as it seems from just the descriptions the raptors will give you much better power from the exact same price.

Also can both these systems have their psi increased? and how much boost can an internally stock Ecotec safely run. Just trying to find out as much information about these as i can before i make myself a big investment.

Just after a massive pros and cons list for these two systems.

Thank you all for any inputs

Hay mate i dont no where you but, check this out
VY supercharged v6 engines for $4750.at barry bourke,Berwick VIC 83806
phone (03)9707 2222
Barry Bourke Motors - Holden, Saab, HSV and Hummer
that a motor and blower with change from 5k
it was in this months street commodore mag.:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You are totally wasting your money putting one of these units on your standard motor. Nonetheless there are plenty of people out there who will happily sell you one and take your money and run. They won't want to talk to you after you have blown or damaged your engine as a result of it running with their SC.

Ask them if they will give you a written guarantee that the unit will not push the engine beyond its design stress limits and thus damage the motor? I can tell you now that they won't give you any such guarantee because they know these motors are just not designed to take the stresses a supercharger applies to them. They will happily spin you a great line though that all will be ok with your motor but you will never get anything in writing. Then there is the issue of the transmission and drive train taking the stresses that will be applied.

I think GM know a lot more about their motors than these aftermarket supercharger sellers. If it was as easy as bolting on a supercharger to the existing motor then GM would have done that. However the V6 supercharged factory motors are different from the standard V6s and have been modified(including the internals) to take the additional stresses.

Hmmmmm. factory ecotec will handle 10psi no probs even with 300,000km's on the clock as long as it has a decent service history. stock engines have seen much more boost with turbo setups and survived just fine.

your comparing 2 very different style blowers here mate. firstly the M90 PD style blower is a lot harder on engines then a centrifugal style blower will ever be. they produce boost in a completly different fasion. the M90 pounds the air and creates the boost inside the manifold and does so almost right from idle, this style of blower also creates a lot of heat (the sc14 is real bad for this). the centigual charger on the other hand starts to build boost at higher revs (say about 2500rpm for the raptor) and does so inside the blower. because the centrifugal works much like a fan the boost is smooth, no pounding like a PD blower it is much gentler on the engine.

lets look at nitrous for a minute. take a stock V6 engine and dump a 150hp shot of nitrous in it at say 3000rpm i guarantee breakage city because the pistons just wont handle the cylinder pressures. now take the exact same engine 150hp nitrous shot but use a time based progressive nitrous controller starting at 50hp and rising to 150 hp in 1.5seconds. that same engine will last much longer because your not subjecting the pistons to the same cylinder pressures at low RPM. this is much the case when comparing PD style blowers to centrifugal blowers.

GM built a great engine with the L67, there's no doubt about that. i dear say that the people who run GM are rev heads because when they do put out a performance engine they normally leave lots of scope to make big power with a few upgrades.

you'll also note that Holden only ever released the L67 with a auto trans. simple really. the auto trans is much easier on the drive train. crank up the boost pressure on a factory stock L67 and drive it like it's stolen and i bet the factory drivetrain will soon put it's hands up and say enough.

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
Hmmmmm. factory ecotec will handle 10psi no probs even with 300,000km's on the clock as long as it has a decent service history. stock engines have seen much more boost with turbo setups and survived just fine.

your comparing 2 very different style blowers here mate. firstly the M90 PD style blower is a lot harder on engines then a centrifugal style blower will ever be. they produce boost in a completly different fasion. the M90 pounds the air and creates the boost inside the manifold and does so almost right from idle, this style of blower also creates a lot of heat (the sc14 is real bad for this). the centigual charger on the other hand starts to build boost at higher revs (say about 2500rpm for the raptor) and does so inside the blower. because the centrifugal works much like a fan the boost is smooth, no pounding like a PD blower it is much gentler on the engine.

lets look at nitrous for a minute. take a stock V6 engine and dump a 150hp shot of nitrous in it at say 3000rpm i guarantee breakage city because the pistons just wont handle the cylinder pressures. now take the exact same engine 150hp nitrous shot but use a time based progressive nitrous controller starting at 50hp and rising to 150 hp in 1.5seconds. that same engine will last much longer because your not subjecting the pistons to the same cylinder pressures at low RPM. this is much the case when comparing PD style blowers to centrifugal blowers.

GM built a great engine with the L67, there's no doubt about that. i dear say that the people who run GM are rev heads because when they do put out a performance engine they normally leave lots of scope to make big power with a few upgrades.

you'll also note that Holden only ever released the L67 with a auto trans. simple really. the auto trans is much easier on the drive train. crank up the boost pressure on a factory stock L67 and drive it like it's stolen and i bet the factory drivetrain will soon put it's hands up and say enough.

Excellent explanation mate, couldnt have said it better. Agreed with every point. So as the question was, what would you recommend as a FI? After what ive read, i think raptor is the way to go.