Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger Kit Choice???

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
haha yeah i think im more confused now then when i started

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there are a few options and i think they have been covered in this thread, you just need to ignore the crap na sayers about certain setups.

Raptor, 9-10psi, stock engine complete kit, bolt on drive away
L67, engine swap. stock is only 179kw so will need some upgrades to get decent power from it (pulley upgrade, cooler, tune etc)
turbo conversion, stock engine. only proflow do a kit otherwise you gotta make it yourself

also, the biggest thing to having a boosted engine survive is the tune and the fuel system. if the engine runs lean at any stage your going to be in trouble.

with nay of these conversions you gotta remember that the transmission is going to be a weak link when the boost pressures go up.

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
once again thanks for your help. With the L67 conversion i know it will drop in fine but i have a factory manual SII VS will the L67 bolt straight on being that its a manual gearbox and they only came out bolted to auto transmissions?

radarak47

I lean to the right
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Acclaim
An L67 is a good conversion, a few things to consider....

different fuel pump, regulator, coil packs, ECU, etc. Nothing wrong with going this way just remember the weaknesses won't be the motor but if you can't get enough fuel or spark to it then bad.

179kw at the motor so more like 130 - 140 rwkw. Add 10psi pulley and larger rockers will get you closer to 170 - 180 rwkw. This equates usually to low 14's down the 1/4 and you are usually up for over $5k already and that is if you did a fair bit yourself.

I have also priced building up an L36 to similar specs to the l67 and you are looking at around the $3k mark for the motor add another $700 to $1000 if you have someone else fit it.

A retune to may cost a little but you will know the motor is safe with the l67.

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
So from what ive gathered mate,
Easiest and most likely cheapest way: Raptor bolt on kit
Safest Way: L67 conversion, BTW, get the whole engine, not just the charger and bolt it onto a L36, way to much work and $ for that.

If you going to run the car into the ground, i wouldnt go past the L67, but if you want a daily thats going to give you that kick every now an then when you need it, go raptor.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
The straight up easiest way to FI your V6 is the Raptor kit, I can say that with confidence, no one has come up with a more complete kit for the price. Its alll there, you bolt on and you boost. VS - VY.

Your other options are change for a factory SC car, drop in a factory SC engine, turbo maybe and all are plausible ideas.

If you don't have much time, you want an power outcome thats within a projected range with a quality MEMCAL tune then the ProStreet Supercharger system could be an option high on the list.

ADDICTVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6
raptor. because of the support given by raptor

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
id say raptor by what ive seen and heard. my mates got a raptor on his vs and it runs 13.2 with traction and tune issues

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
hi i read the first 4 posts

i drove a vy supercharged 6 today it wasent that fast it was bog stock alloytec vy's feel just as fast dont know if they are

what i am trying to say whether or not you supercharge do some other stuff first like injectors and all of that other stuff get it going fast and ready for a l67 charger then put one on and see how well that will go

gentec performance in canberra has a 4.2 vy 400rwhp $30000 in the engine

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hi i read the first 4 posts

i drove a vy supercharged 6 today it wasent that fast it was bog stock alloytec vy's feel just as fast dont know if they are

what i am trying to say whether or not you supercharge do some other stuff first like injectors and all of that other stuff get it going fast and ready for a l67 charger then put one on and see how well that will go

gentec performance in canberra has a 4.2 vy 400rwhp $30000 in the engine

maybe you should read the rest of the thread too. then learn about injectors and matching injectors to fuel flow requirements.

but just incase you can't find the info, the L67 comes from the factory with 36lbs injectors, the raptor kit comes supplied with the same 36lbs injectors. fitting large injectors like used with both superchargers into a otherwise stock n/a engine is going to overfuel and foul your plugs before you get a chance to put the car in gear unless you get it tuned properly whci hwould be a complete waste of time and money when you need to retune later (Raptor supply appropriate tune to suit injectors with there kit)