Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superchargers and Annual Safety Inspections?

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
G'day,
Just wondering how those with superchargers go with getting annual safety checks for rego? How about the more thorough inspection if you change states (Blue Slip?). I am thinking about a supercharger but I do tend to move (often to a new state) every 2-3 years with work. A cam is a less physically obvious path I could follow but I am after the low/mid range tourque of the blower. Getting it engineered is the perfect solution but I have heard that can cost up to $10k, not sure if that is the case or not. Many of the Mustang supercharger kits appear to be 'ADR Approved' but that does not appear to be the case with Commodore kits. 'ADR approved' kits may still mean each individual car needs to be engineered/approved anyway??
Cheers.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
In nsw they do a pink slip. It checks the safety of the vehicle so having a supercharger makes no difference as it's not a safety item. I have had mine since 2009 & had no issues with registration

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you move around a lot, this is not a mod I would bother with. The engineers certs are not transferable state to state (they're state specific), and each state will only accept certificates from engineers it nominates. Having said that, the costs for engineering can vary wildly engineer to engineer, so I would contact a few instead of jumping to the conclusion that it will be 10k.

The alternative is you get a centrifugal kit that you can easily remove when it comes time for an inspection.

If you're staying in the ACT for any extended amount of time, they don't do annual checks.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
G'day,
Just wondering how those with superchargers go with getting annual safety checks for rego? How about the more thorough inspection if you change states (Blue Slip?). I am thinking about a supercharger but I do tend to move (often to a new state) every 2-3 years with work. A cam is a less physically obvious path I could follow but I am after the low/mid range tourque of the blower. Getting it engineered is the perfect solution but I have heard that can cost up to $10k, not sure if that is the case or not. Many of the Mustang supercharger kits appear to be 'ADR Approved' but that does not appear to be the case with Commodore kits. 'ADR approved' kits may still mean each individual car needs to be engineered/approved anyway??
Cheers.

I can only speak for South Australia and has already been stated things differ from State to State. I investigated this when I added a Harrop blower to my 2014 Calais. In SA there are no annual inspections but the Act lists a number of modifications that require an engineering cert. One is a supercharger and get this, if it is a Walkinshaw it is fine. How they came up with that is weird. Another is an increase of 20% in power. Anyhow, there is another place in SA that fit the Magnusson blowers, use the normal cats and run E85 and they have had that engineered. If you fly under the radar you would be very unlucky to get done. More likely to be checked with a lumpy cam. The grey area is insurance. While many insurers don't mind the blower etc being added (you must tell them, same with cam etc.) there is usually something written along the lines of "All modifications must be legal" so they have an out if they want to play that card. But in talking to Harrop and others they have yet to hear of an insurer playing that card. In any event I took the risk but I was glad for the risk to disappear when I bought the HSV LSA.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
if it is a Walkinshaw it is fine. How they came up with that is weird.

I'd say that's because it was factory released on the W427.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
W427 is a naturally aspirated 7 litre (427 cubic inch) engine.
The LSA line of engines are supercharged and they are only in some of the Gen F vehicles.
I'd recommend just getting an LSA engined car and be done with it honestly. If it's out of your means now then maybe just save and it will be yours in time? They can be had for high 50's now.
I'd say that's because it was factory released on the W427.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Blower is more to do with emissions not really safety issue unless it sticks out the bonnet or you got bald tyres.

Most pinkslip places won't care as long as car looks normal enough outside.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
I just looked at the centrifugal (vortech) style of superchargers and I guess they woukd be easier to temporarily remove if I had too. I suspect you could even leave the air to air intercooler in place and just remove the piping. If you drove at low rpm to a nearby inspection station (for a blue slip - changing states) you might even be ok to go with the supercharged tune? However the centrifugal chargers don't seem to have the instant torque of the roots style which is what I am after..... Anyway thanks for the comments, I have a few months to come up with a plan.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Tbh if you're that worried it would be less than day taking your time to unbolt say magnusson off the engine to bolt stock intake & airbox etc

Top mounts are nicer to have on a daily than big cam or vortech although you could just ask local dude straight up if he'd pass car with blower if not go to another.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
W427 is a naturally aspirated 7 litre (427 cubic inch) engine.
The LSA line of engines are supercharged and they are only in some of the Gen F vehicles.
I was reading that Wheels bit about the W1 assembly line yesterday ... apparently for the recent past, HSV's have been arriving from the Holden factory as a fully assembled & complianced car.
So I wonder whether a Clubsport is a Commodore from a paperwork/ADR's point of view?