Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharging a stock vt ecotec

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Vt_vic, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    my mate wrote off his vt spac and i was wondering if i could take his off and put it ont mine na ecotec.would it be possible and what kind of power can i get

2. HIROLLA

HIROLLA Member

Members Ride:
    VS SIII CAPRICE
    not really wouldnt ever run as good as a factory one.

Just take his whole engine aswell?

3. MaN|aC

MaN|aC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT 4.2 S/C
    is his engine still in tacked may aswell put it in your car.

with fitting a M90 eaton s/c onto the ecotec it requires a bit work like using the L67 heads, injectors, manifold, fuel rails.
    It won't be as good as a the L67 because the internals are different.

4. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    the engines done about 230000 mines only done 103000.i thought you could just take the sc off bolt it onto mine change the computer and some other parts an would work but not as good as a factory one

5. MaN|aC

MaN|aC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT 4.2 S/C
    You can do that with a centrifugal supercharger but its not that straight foward with a M90 (root) supercharger.

6. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    is that a top mount sc.i just wanna take the vt sc and use it or would it be worth getting the 90

7. Boonz

Boonz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    green 355 VG ute
    nah the genuine motor is completely different... different heads, pistons, injectors etc... its not a straight forward swap onto a N/A motor

8. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    so to put a sc on my eco is gonna cost heaps.like 4.2 stroker,pistons, cams,new computer and new exhaust and extractors etc

9. AttaBoy

AttaBoy WTF?!?!

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    the L67 have stronger internals to cope with the stress. You could swap it but your engine will die very soon.

10. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    raptor is putting 9-10psi into a stock ecotec without a problem but putting an l67 supercharnger (m90) onto a stock ecotec bottom end seems to cause the pistons to shatter.......

11. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    is the m90 the stock sc on the ecotecs.what is this raptor sc?.i thought a stock na ecotec could ony handle a few psi with stock internals

12. MaN|aC

MaN|aC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT 4.2 S/C
    Raptor Superchargers is one of Just Commodores sponsors,
    they make superchargers to suit stock buick/ecotecs without damaging the internals.

13. immortality

Members Ride:
    have a look in the sponsors section, under raptor superchargers. a good product bang for buck etc. some good results to, on par with almost anything you see from the l67 super6 (m90) commodores

14. danja

danja Swerves for gay koalas

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    Careful though, in terms of power characteristics a centrifugal super is more like a turbo than a M90. YT do a bolt on Ecotec kit that is pretty much the M90 made to fit the L36. Comes with lower comp head gaskets to drop the compression to a level similar to the L67.

From what I have read and heard, the compression is the main difference between the L36 and L67. They do have different internals (con rods, pistons and so on) but these are not especially stronger, just a different design due to the fact it is actually a significantly different engine to the L36.

Just something to think about.

PS. This is a website for an American mob who seem to have a bit to say about sticking an L67 M90 on a L36.
    http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=382&catid=109

15. immortality

Members Ride:
    may be similar to a turbo in configuration i.e. they look similar but the supercharger is belt driven so doesn't need to spool up like a turbo does. the L67 has stronger rods and pistons to handle boost and they can handle a lot, FIT have them up around 19psi from memory without opening up the engine. i gues you gotta take into consideration the cost of installation of an L67 engine including wiring and all the other little bits you need to make it work etc Vs the cost of the raptor kit and power gained from each. porsonally i'd love to own a factory L67 VS but if i was going to supercharge a standard L36 ecotec then i'd lean towards the raptor kit. thats just my opinion however

16. danja

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    Thats true to an extent, but what I meant by similar to a turbo is that the boost increases proportional to engine speed, so you are only really getting useful boost at higher engine speeds, whereas the most commonly quoted advantage of a roots-type (eg. M90) blower is you get full boost from idle.

From all I've heard the Raptor kit is a great kit, so long as you are aware that that is the type of power-band you'll be getting. If I was looking for turbo-esque performance I'd almost certainly choose a Raptor-type super over the hassle of installing a turbo, but that said I'd choose a positive displacement super over a centrifugal, but thats just personal preference.

At one time I actually had some tech bulletins from GM which noted the difference between the L36 and L67, and yes, the L67 does have larger pins and (from memory) shorter rods, but I had understood that this wasn't done to strengthen the engine. The big decider seems to be the compression ratio (and perhaps the pistons themselves). That said, I can't claim to have pushed either engine to breaking point so take what I've said for what it is. :) If FIT really have an unmodded L67 safely running 19psi then I have to say that IS impressive for a stock engine, I certainly wouldn't try that on a L36 without some serious internal work.

I've recently finished my suspension setup on my VT (Bilsteins rock! :yeah: ), only thing left on the list before I strap on a blower is a minor brake upgrade, so hopefully soon I'll be able to say something more concrete.

17. Vt_vic

Vt_vic New Member

Members Ride:
    carless for now
    yeah im thinking about the raptor kit 220-230kw is perfect for me without doing internal work

18. immortality

Members Ride:
    yeah, the roots type blower does give amore constant pressure then the cetrifugal style. check the FIT section, i'm sure it's in there somewhere about how much boost there stuffing down the throat of there test mule. i'm only really going by what i've been told by L67 owners as to the differences in the bottom end of the L67 Vs L36. no doubt though they must have had stregth (especially the pistons) in mind when considering the boost application. i think the raptor kit is great. 220rwkw on a stock standard l36 bottom end with more potential is enough to convince me. check this for the 19psi thing

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=41725

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  19. danja

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    Wow! Good stuff. If the engine lasts more than 10'000kms without throwing a rod then my hat is off to them! :bow:

I think once you're pushing 200+kW out at the wheel, you really need to stop and ask yourself if you really need any more power. At that point you should think about getting a dedicated track car and something more practical for the street.

20. STL.THY

STL.THY New Member

Members Ride:
    VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
    can anyone point me in the right direction of the parts i need to complete my ecotec- ive got a set of the vs s/c teflon pistons but need the pins gugeons and conrods?