Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharging

V

VS_chick

hey guys

i have a 96 VS commodore i am thinking about supercharging it what is best way to go around it. and where would be the best place to get it done in WA. and im also thinking about changing it to a manual what would the cost be in that?
any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Amy :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
sounds like a good idea to me.

With the v6 there are a few options. One of the sponsers (FIT) are in WA, marks workshop comes to mind also, but i dont think they are in perth

There is a company in vic castlemaine rod shop, that offer a light pressure supercharger kit based on a 2nd hand toyota supercharger for around $1800, but is only good for aound 30kW at the wheels boost, but still for the cost its not too bad.

V

VS_chick

yeah thanks for that, i dont acually live in perth anyway , but ill keep looking around

thanks again.
amy

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
not to be rude or anything but use the search button both questions have been covered quite a few times but basically there are a few charger options the $2000 cheapo CRS kit read more here http://www.rodshop.com.au/superchargerholdv6.htm they only put out 3-4 psi and max 6-8 psi with a smaller pulley but you have to loose the clutch option i think. then you can go the factory supercharged engine swap prolly the best performance and strength wise but can be costly (well you needa buy the whole engine cant just ad the blower) then there are the cappa options wich are very expensive but great blowers read more here http://www.capa.com.au/vortech.htm
but these blowers are gonna require engine work otherwise sooner or later you will kill your engine. (the factory s/c engine is already built tough)

as for manual conversions your looking at about $1500 - $1800 parts and $1500 - $1800 installation if your interested in converting yourself then let me know and ill write up a guide and parts list (it may be cheaper if you can get individual parts rather than in kit form)

well ive had enough of typing now and its time to clock off work hope that helps you a bit. feel free to contact me if you need any more help

cheers
Adam

V

VS_chick

thanks for that, yeah that list of part will be very helpfull i think cause if i can get the parts i can get my dad to fit it as hes a mechanic,
i think i would rather change my car to a manual then get it supercharged at this stage
would changing it be a huge job?
cheers
Amy

V

VSSleeper

VS_chick, i run the CRS kit with a few mods, other than the smaller pulley upgrade you need to get a few things done, the throttlebody needs to be relocated to the front of the blower for better air readings, with the pulley upgrade it makes the blower run continously, as it loses the clutch assembly, the throttle cable and air sensor wires need to be relocated so they reach the throttlebody and then dynotuned, all up youll be looking at about $3500.00 to run this kit installed as it requires your mechanic to do a bit of screwing around however you do get good gains from this, more than 30kw....dont know who would do it in perth....there is one guy on here " Powerup " who has clips of his car and his experiences with this kit....good luck...

V

VS_chick

thanks for that VSSleeper. hey this might sound like a dumb question but i have extractors on my car as well, can i still have a blower on it?

V

VSSleeper

of course you can, if your using forced induction ( blower ) you need to be able to get rid of the air and gas just as fast as your blowing it in, the quicker its in then out the more power you will get, has to flow....so yes that is a good thing, having extractors.....no question is silly when your unsure....:)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i think you were probably getting confused with a supercharger and a turbo. turbos need a new manifold because of being spun by the exhaust gases.
also have you considered a turbo? they dont suck anywhere near as much power as a supercharger. they maybe worth looking into if your interested and have the money for forced induction.