Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharging

ntl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS 3.8L V6 Commodore
Instead of starting a new thread, i just thought i'd ask in this 1. With these superchargers that CRS use, these small toyota ones or watever they are, is it possible to get them rebuilt to handle higher rpm? Ive read about changing the pulley to get around 10psi boost, but in doing this doubling the rpm the charger is spinning at. But also my understanding is these chargers can only handle 10000rpm, so when redlining at around 5500rpm, the charger is actually spinning at 11000rpm. Back to my question, im wondering if possible to get these chargers rebuilt a bit stronger so that it could possibly handle a bit more rpm safetly. See what i'm getting at? sure yous do :thumbsup:

V

VS_chick

yeah i though about getting it turbo but im not really sure on whats involved and how much.. and people have told me that supercharged is better.
like what are the pros and con's for each of them.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
with a supercharger its powered by the crank. hence it will sap engine power.
a turbo is spun by the exhaust gases. the gases will be slowed but this loss of power will be much less than a supercharger.
because its a V6 (2 banks) normally you use a turbo for each bank. where as with a supercharger you would just use 1 (duh!).
turbos have lag so they can be a bit slower off the mark but turbos can run max boost more of the time because of a waste gate that lets air over a predetermined pressure to pass the turbo and therefor not enter the engine. the problem with a roots and centrifugal type superchargers is that they are geared for max boost and so only when your car is reving at a certain rpm will you have max boost.
given 2 identical cars (turbo in 1 and a supercharger in the other) the turbo would win. i know thats a big statement and people are going to disagree.
superchargers are noisy and have more moving parts than a turbo.
turbo would cost more but depends on how deep your pockets are :yeah:

fixxxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Having read though this thread, i relised something, as soon as some one says they are from WA, everyone assumes they live in Perth, WA is the biggest state in the country...LOL, Kalgoolrie is further from Perth than Melb is from Syd (dont quote me on that though) i know totally off topic just thought id point that out, ahwell its late and im just rumbling on....... :)

V

VS_chick

lol ok..... yeah kal is about 6 hours away, well it depends how fast u go i got it down to 5 hours :)

V

VS_chick

oh thanks for the info garfa...... im starting to head towards the turbos now......
i guess i better start saving then