Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercheap Holden car cover

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
I clicked on the link and had a look. That type of cover is only good for inside. I have a similar one forget the brand but red with a white strip down the centre. It cost me about $115 on ebay. It keeps most things off the car but a little bit of dust seeps through. The trade off is that if you buy something completely waterproof and thicker then they are harder to handle and do not fold up as small to pack away when you are using the car. Covercraft are a very good brand with lots of options but they do get expensive. My two cents

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When Dad got his shiny new VR, not long after they were released, he also got a Tyvek outdoors car-cover, thinking to protect it during the day while parked in a baking hot western Sydney car-park.

I can’t recall how long it took for the abrasions to become obvious, because the wind blowing flaps the material around. If a damp soft clean chamois can cause swirls used once a week, imagine how quickly a dry flapping piece of cloth can abrade when slippy-flappy beating against the paint for 8hrs at a time. Pretty sure it was only a few months.

They’re fine for keeping the UV off your barn-find before you do something about the paint; but wax for the paint & protectant for the trim & tint for the windows is better if you’re trying to keep an outside-parked car in good nick.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
When Dad got his shiny new VR, not long after they were released, he also got a Tyvek outdoors car-cover, thinking to protect it during the day while parked in a baking hot western Sydney car-park.

I can’t recall how long it took for the abrasions to become obvious, because the wind blowing flaps the material around. If a damp soft clean chamois can cause swirls used once a week, imagine how quickly a dry flapping piece of cloth can abrade when slippy-flappy beating against the paint for 8hrs at a time. Pretty sure it was only a few months.

They’re fine for keeping the UV off your barn-find before you do something about the paint; but wax for the paint & protectant for the trim & tint for the windows is better if you’re trying to keep an outside-parked car in good nick.

Plus the problems trapped moisture causes with staining of trim pieces and so on.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The outdoor ones should breathe, and not trap moisture … dunno how you get past them flapping around though!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The outdoor ones should breathe, and not trap moisture … dunno how you get past them flapping around though!

The breathable outdoor ones do in fact trap moisture.

I have a range of covers from plush soft to coarse material for indoor and outdoor needs and they all have their failings when it comes to long term use.

They work fine if it's just for short periods.

When the outdoor ones flap you need to do a paint correction.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Cheers for the replies so far peoples.

Yes, I am only thinking of indoor use....until 2yrs ago my cars were always garaged in a sealed (gyprock lined) urban garage. Now they are garaged in Titan type sheds where more dust, insects/geckos etc are more prevalent.

Each of the Commodores may sit undriven for a few days to a week at a time. I am mainly thinking of covering them after a wash...but

1. would trapping residual moisture from a wash be an issue over a max of a week or so?
2. would dust likely still get underneath and cause scratching of duco when being carefully removed?

As the consequences of both of these issues will no doubt vary depending on the quality, weight, material type etc of the cover I was wondering if anyone had tried these particular ones?..again for indoor use only.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A cheap $35 supercheap parachute car cover is supposedly dust proof according to a friend who bought one. He bought it to throw over his autotecnica indoor show car cover which sadly let dust through…

Now he says the soft autotecnica cover goes on first and then he throws the parachute cover over the top and says the dust doesn’t get through any more… He always makes sure the car is nice and dry before throwing the covers on. His cars are garaged…

I‘d also never cover a wet car…

PS: I’d guess covering something when wet can promote mould growth in humid Brissie… ?? And I’d rather drive a dusty car than a car that smells mouldy inside…

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
It looks to be the same material as supercheap indoor covers. I've got one on my HQ and rate it pretty well for what is a cheap cover. Has what feels like a microfiber lining, appears to be 90+% dustproof and fits/clings nicely.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
A cheap $35 supercheap parachute car cover is supposedly dust proof according to a friend who bought one. He bought it to throw over his autotecnica indoor show car cover which sadly let dust through…

Now he says the soft autotecnica cover goes on first and then he throws the parachute cover over the top and says the dust doesn’t get through any more… He always makes sure the car is nice and dry before throwing the covers on. His cars are garaged…

I‘d also never cover a wet car…

PS: I’d guess covering something when wet can promote mould growth in humid Brissie… ?? And I’d rather drive a dusty car than a car that smells mouldy inside…
True...I wouldn’t think of covering a wet vehicle with it...with our humidity it would be a sure way of quickly ruining/stenching the inner surface of the cover also I would imagine.