Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superlows in my VT ????????

ratzy

It's Sedan Time
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec on senator 18's
my plan is to put superlows into my vt wagon but i have heared it puts lots of strain on your powersteering pump??? is this true? will i need to get camber kits?

cheers in advance

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
when you put superlows on a vt, you need to change the springs, and the camber kit on the rear for sure (this stops the wheels tilting inwards like this / (car) \ . If you don't do that, your tyres wear unevenly. I'm not 100% on the camber kit for the front (like if it's a necessity) but while the suspension is being changed it probably couldnt hurt, would set you back about $50 and an hour of a mechanic's wage on top of the springs. If you do the camber kit properly it won't strain the power steering pump, as the steering column won't be bending improperly or anything.

Also consider that you might get the springs off and notice bad-condition shock absorbers, if you've done more than 100k and they haven't ever been changed you might want to consider a new shock for each corner, if you plan on keeping the car a while.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
You dont NEED a camber kit.

Some people have no wear, some have minimal, some have bad wear.
I recommend you wait a couple of weeks to see how it goes b4 u chuck a camber kit on.
Holden recommends a 2 point camber kit not the 4 point with the adjustable toe.
Its a good idea to get it though for piece of mind, but its not nessecary unless you get the wear.

I lowered mine 2000km's ago on SL's, still with standard shocks and I havent had any wear in the rear.

As for te power steering pump.... thats not true. Lowering the car only makes it lower, the distance between the strut and the control arm rod stays exactly the same.
Turning your wheels whilst the cars at stand-still however will put preasure on it, not to mention how bad it is for the tyres.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Is there a way to find out how low my car is? I bought it lowered, and for insurance reasons its not meant to be lowered more then "30mm below standard". My car is a 97 VT Acclaim, i have no idea where i find what it sat at standard, nor how i find out how it is now.

And Pedders want $44 to do an "insurance check" which seems alot of unnecessary spending.

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
I would be very shocked if you could lower a holden with an independent rear end that low and not put a camber kit in it. If you ever start putting any weight in your boot then stand back and look at your wheels and you should see the more you put in then the more they will look like / \ . That should give you a good idea if you need a camber kit or not.

But from my understand the VX has a better rear end and it might be a bit different for a VX, VY, VZ.

traydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute eco, VT calais 5.0L
no front camber needed from my expeirence. rear end did wear insides but not as bad what i thought it would. but as above put a load in the boot and step back and have a look youl see

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
A camber kit isnt needed but its recomended if ur goin lower than lows or FE2, u wont see the wear on ur tyres in a short period of time (like a few months) u'll notice them wen u start rotating ur tyres they wont fix the problem 100% but they definatly help the life of the tyres.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
I have SL on the front. I wanted to go SL on the rear, but it may be a bit too low. The front didn't need a camber kit, but the rear does. Really, the rear in a VT needs one anyway, even standard. I may put Fe2 in the rear with a camber kit. You can buy one at Ringwood Auto Parts for about $200. THey are also on Ebay.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
My old Vt Berlina was lowerd but not lower then SL and the ware wasnt very noticable

Same with my Vx Calais Its minimal But now I have SL alround I'll see how I go. But personaly I dont mind the look of the cambers on cars tyres dont really bother me coz if they did Id spend the money getting a camber kit. With that said when I tryed the 20" wheels I had onThe camber was VERY noticable and didnt like it as it stuck out ahell of alot.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
go SSL at the front and SL on the rear it will give the car a nice straight line and forget the camber kit and a set of gt monroe shocks and should look sweet:whistling